Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2006 2:54:07 PM EDT
or are they the same lenght--i'm looking to build the most compact AR carbine i can w/out making it an SBR, and i'm wondering if the origional CAR stock is the same length (i think it is, but i want to make sure) as the M4...

any idea on what the shortest collapasable stock out there is?

what are some ideas on the shortest AR carbine (no SBR) i can build, with in $1000 (so gas pistons are out)

thanks
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:15:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the CAR stock's about an inch or so shorter.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:23:30 PM EDT
[#2]
If you do not want collapsible - try the Ace shorty.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:25:41 PM EDT
[#3]
ah, ok thanks bulldog

no, not looking for a non colapsable for this one, thanks for the suggestion anyways hayseed (if i get the ACE, it will be for a full size AR)

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:06:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Type one car stock will be the shortest.

+1

Gen 1 is 6 3/16"

Gen 2 is 6 7/16"
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:27:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Are the newer extension tubes longer?  Both my CAR stock and my M4 stock are both flush with the end of the extension tube when fully collapsed.  Assuming the extension tubes are the same length, it would seem the stock body of the CAR and M4 are the same length.  I haven't ever compared them side by side before though.  

The CAR stock is certainly more compact though, due to it's shorter height.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:54:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Are the newer extension tubes longer?  Both my CAR stock and my M4 stock are both flush with the end of the extension tube when fully collapsed.  Assuming the extension tubes are the same length, it would seem the stock body of the CAR and M4 are the same length.  I haven't ever compared them side by side before though.  

Some aftermarket tubes for the newer M4 style stocks are longer and angled at the rear to sit flush with the stock, so they will definitely protrude from a CAR stock.  At least, that's the case with a Cav Arms M4 stock I have.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:20:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some aftermarket tubes for the newer M4 style stocks are longer and angled at the rear to sit flush with the stock, so they will definitely protrude from a CAR stock.  At least, that's the case with a Cav Arms M4 stock I have.

Interesting, I didn't know that.  Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:37:05 PM EDT
[#9]
You could shorten a short CAR style stock by about another inch.  Diemaco did this with their PDW concept.  Unfortunately I don't have pics of it but you'd need someone to shorten the buffer tube and rethread it as well as removing the round portion of the butt between the receiver and release lever.  You'd also need to have someone shorten your buffer by an inch.  I briefly toyed with the idea of doing this to my 9mm SBR but it seems like a lot of work to only gain an inch.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:20:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Yikes - I just measured my actual M4 stock.  My RRA unmarked stock has a longer receiver extension.

My CAR and VLTOR are the same length, and fit flush.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top