Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2005 7:00:20 PM EDT
Went shooting this afternoon at the range in a friends backyard. discovered a couple things.

One, my 6920 needs glass. I had the gun in sandbags and was printing groupls about an inch at a 100 yds. Not printing at center of target, since I have bad eyesight, so the need for glass..ideas?

The other thing i discovered, is that if my hands are cold enough, I can get a mag dump bump firing with a 1911.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:03:04 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:Not printing at center of target, since I have bad eyesight, so the need for glass..ideas?

How about using the windage and elevation knobs to zero the rifle?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:07:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:Not printing at center of target, since I have bad eyesight, so the need for glass..ideas?

+1

you are suppose to zero the rifle so that it shoots poi.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:14:07 PM EDT
[#3]
You were shooting one inch groups at 100 yards with iron sights and bad eyes.......  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:15:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You were shooting one inch groups at 100 yards with iron sights and bad eyes.......  

My thoughts exactly  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:17:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

It shoots dead on point of aim at 25 yds nice. I get out to 100 yards and I CAN'T SEE the target well enough to do anything bag it in and adjust till the target looks like it at the correct point of aim.  Thus the need for glass. Was shooting about 2 " left and bout half inch high from what I thought was my point of aim, but as target is bit fuzzy there might have been aiming where was hitting.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:20:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Just move your target in the direction of the groups.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:21:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My thoughts exactly  

Yeah since I had the thing baged up, wasnt much more than pulling the trigger.  You see, a sandbag= heavy conforming object that hold a weapon very still. So repeatablilty with a low recoiling weapon is easy.

So, does anyone have any advice for a lightly magnified piece of glass for a 6920?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:43:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

It shoots dead on point of aim at 25 yds nice. I get out to 100 yards and I CAN'T SEE the target well enough to do anything bag it in and adjust till the target looks like it at the correct point of aim.  Thus the need for glass. Was shooting about 2 " left and bout half inch high from what I thought was my point of aim, but as target is bit fuzzy there might have been aiming where was hitting.

Sigh, yet another one.

That's what the target is SUPPOSED to look like when shooting with irons, even if you have 20/20 vision.

Focus hard on the front sight, put the front sight on the same spot of the fuzzy target, and execute the fundamentals.  That is all there is to it.

Make sure you are using a target that has a BLACK aiming mark, and that the aiming mark is big enough.  Highpower shooters use targets that have black bullseyes 6 MOA In diameter.

How do you think we can shoot at targets 600 yards away with irons and get most of the shots inside a 2 MOA circle?

But it sounds like you are not interested in learning how to shoot without a bunch of crutches, so get the scope.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:49:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

So, does anyone have any advice for a lightly magnified piece of glass for a 6920?

acog
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:05:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Sigh, yet another one.

That's what the target is SUPPOSED to look like when shooting with irons, even if you have 20/20 vision.

Focus hard on the front sight, put the front sight on the same spot of the fuzzy target, and execute the fundamentals.  That is all there is to it.

Make sure you are using a target that has a BLACK aiming mark, and that the aiming mark is big enough.  Highpower shooters use targets that have black bullseyes 6 MOA In diameter.

How do you think we can shoot at targets 600 yards away with irons and get most of the shots inside a 2 MOA circle?

But it sounds like you are not interested in learning how to shoot without a bunch of crutches, so get the scope.

Seems a lot fuzzier than it was just a few years ago. It wasn't a black aiming point, how does the black aiming point help you more than a bright orange one I was shooting at?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:09:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted: how does the black aiming point help you more than a bright orange one I was shooting at?

It is MUCH easier to see while focusing on the front sight.

Where in Ohio are you?  If you'd like, you can show up for one of the many informal matches or practice days at Miami Rifle & Pistol (just east of Cinci) and you can get some good coaching in both sight and sling use and in learning shooting positions that will make a bench and bags unnecesary.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:12:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Were you using Wolf ammo?  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:20:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Wish cheap stuff ran that well through this one. Blackhills
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:42:35 PM EDT
[#14]
The shift to the left may be due to a cant. Make sure you aren't canting the rifle when you shoot. The rifle needs to be staight up and down if you want the sights to work properly. By the way, good shooting.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:41:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My 6920 loves Wolf. I almost never dive into my stash of "good" ammo since the combo of Colt/Wolf works so well.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:33:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My 6920 loves Wolf. I almost never dive into my stash of "good" ammo since the combo of Colt/Wolf works so well.

It was cold out and noticed that about 1 in 5 maybe 1 in six round of the Wolf we were shooting at the 25 yard target would eject at a different angle. didn't sound any different, but would a slightly light/heavy load cause this? I had never noticed it shooting in the warmer weather this fall.

ETA gun runs great on Wolf, just wouldnt group that well beyond 50 yds, even for buddy who can has very good vision and is a better shot than I .
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:48:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The shift to the left may be due to a cant. Make sure you aren't canting the rifle when you shoot. The rifle needs to be staight up and down if you want the sights to work properly. By the way, good shooting.

Negative.  You just have to use elevation AND windage to make the POI go straight L or R.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:55:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

acog

+100
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:23:24 PM EDT
[#19]
damn man.............

I wish I could get 1"  100 yard groups.

that's pretty freakin good with iron sights.

as in unbelievable.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:36:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I also vote for the ACOG.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:40:38 PM EDT
[#21]
[Animal House]  Youre new name is LYRCH DE CAPLOCK [/Animal House]  

(sorry CARLOS)

I too would vote for the ACOG.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:12:13 AM EDT
[#22]
1 Inch groups at 100 Yds. With Iron Sights and bad eyes.

I wish my eyes were that bad.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:06:57 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
1 Inch groups at 100 Yds. With Iron Sights and bad eyes.

I wish my eyes were that bad.

After all the doubt thrown my way, went and got the target from back of truck, was feeling a bit pissy about the doubt, well I deserved it. Measured with calipers best  group 1 3/8"  worst was close enough to 2" not to matter.

Guess I need to measure twice (or at least once with an accrate instrument) then post once.

Back to subject. Which particular ACOG? They have many flavors.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top