Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/8/2006 6:10:43 PM EDT
I am considering adding a camo scheme to a future SPR build. Just wondering, has anyone had any problems getting moly resin or paint to adhere to teflon coated or very glossy lowers?  Particularly Superior Arms and Megahippie.gif
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:38:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Stickman is one of the pros when it comes to Moly Resin, the rest of us are padowan's at best.

Teflon coated parts "should" be prepped by a light media blasting. The Moly Resin is teflon in and of itself, which may have difficulty adhering to the part.

I've got a DPMS lower which I have learned was teflon coated (as per all DPMS lowers), which I finished in OD green moly resin. There are places where the finish needs to be re-accomplished. It's not flaking off like Tan moly resin, but it is wearing faster than it should.

I'm pricing small media blasters right now, and Harbor Freight has them for around $50. (Provided you have a compressor already.)

BTW: Stickman or anyone else in the know, what is the best type of media to blast with? I don't want to wear the aluminum parts, just take the finish down and "rough" them up a little.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:23:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info  Lapp-Dance! I was not aware that DPMS lowers were teflon coated as well.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:00:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:36:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:41:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 12:26:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Much Thanks for the reassurance! I probably will not dig into this project until mid summer, but that leaves plenty of time for planning.I was hesitant to sandblast a lower because in my limited experience it seemed really easy to go down to bare metal. I think I will use Norrel's moly resin, and start with a base of OD green,and if I use tan at all I will apply it last.       Thanks Guys
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top