Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/11/2006 6:43:20 PM EDT
Sorry if this is off-topic... I have a very good stainless cleaning rod, and want to know what I can use to coat it with to protect my bore. I was thinking of (1) some of that painted-on plastic you put on tool handles, or (2) some very thin brass or copper tubing.

(edited part) After cleaning it carefully with ether or some such, of course!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:00:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to an electrical supply store and get some heat shrink...They sell it in 3 foot lengths and different  colors.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Great idea, hadn't thought of heat shrink tubing. Does it withstand the kinds of chemicals we use to clean the bore?

Thanks again for the idea!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:41:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes very easily and its cheap....
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:01:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Well... tried the shrink tubing, it ended up larger than the bore of the rifle... had to strip it off. Any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:23:31 PM EDT
[#5]
It worked on the wal mart rods I bought...
I used them for .30 cals without problems...Won't work on .22's..
What caliber are you using and what rod???
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:11:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I dont think your going to find any coatting out there for a 22 rod, where it would be coswt effective vs just buying a Dewy.

Mic your rod, them you know how thick the coatting has to be.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:35:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't remember the brand of the rod, its a nice one... ball-bearing handle... plenty long. It's not quite a 'snug' fit in my .223 AR. I may just spray it with some kind of plastic or something.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:17:47 AM EDT
[#8]
You're better off using a stainless rod as is rather than coating it yourself.  Soft materials will embed abrasive particles and wear the bore.  Coatings on commercial rods such as Bore Tech and Dewey use a hard coating (probably nylon) that won't embed grit.  Be sure to use a bore guide (I prefer the one from Sinclair <http://www.sinclairintl.com/>) and you'll be OK with your rod.  There is an eternal debate over coated vs. uncoated rods similr to the moly-coated vs. naked bullet debate; both sides have their points and you'll have to make up your own mind.  If you buy a coated rod, I'd recommend a Bore Tech as the handle and bearings are much better - I usually find the best price at Lock, Stock and Barrel <http://www.lockstock.com/>.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top