Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/13/2018 4:59:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/13/2018 5:22:04 PM EDT by AR45fan]
Scope noob here. Went to an illuminated 1-4x because astigmatism makes RDS blurry. But I just cannot get a nice, solid cheek weld with my 1-4x scope even though it is co-witness height. Is that common? Am I doing it wrong or expecting too much? I shoot better (faster, more repeatably) with irons than with this scope. Thinking of just ditching it altogether.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 5:23:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/13/2018 8:39:10 PM EDT by H53EXPERT]
There is no such thing as co-witness with a scope. Get the proper height rings so your scope works for your facial characteristics, your bone structure and facial fat can alter your specific cheek weld height requirements from the norm.

Which and what height rings or scope mount are you using?
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 6:13:40 PM EDT
AERO 30mm cantilever.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 8:30:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/13/2018 8:35:48 PM EDT by Daggertt]
yeah, so you don't cowitness the sights through the scope, but I know what you mean is that the height of the scope is where a red dot would be to cowitness.

Anyway, most scope mounts put the scope too high for my face to get a comfortable and repeatable cheekweld. Everyone's faces are different.

My solution has been to use a magpul CTR stock with a Larue RISR, which puts my face in the right place for standard height 30mm scope rings.

Or, to use a ADM Recon-SL mount which is lower, but not cantilever, so the scope might be back too far.

Armalite's scope mount is also lower than most and allows me to get cheekweld with a standard stock. However, in looking for one to link, I see that they don't seem to be available anymore, or at least not commonly.

Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:21:36 PM EDT
I use the Larue RISR since normal AR sights and stocks result in a lower jaw weld for me. It is a simple, inexpensive, and removable.
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:50:58 AM EDT
I prefer 1.40" centerline on cantilevered AR mounts. Leupold uses this height, so do several others.

You can use a GG&G or similar extended riser and standard rings. Most risers add 1/2" (.50") and .885" centerline rings gets you to 1.385". 1" rings gets you to 1.5" which is identical to your iron sight height.

Vortex
Aero Precision
Warne
Leupold
Larue
ADM

and a host of other companies make great scope mounts foe AR's. You need an SPR extended cantilevered model. It will give you much more flexibility when mounting the scope.

Scope height is a personal preference issue. What works best for me may not work ideally for you. I can "use" a scope mounted as low as 1.25" centerline on an AR. I can't go any lower than that. I prefer anything between 1.350" to 1.5". Some people prefer higher still.

See if you can check out some friends AR's to see if you like how they're set up. Don't cheap out and buy the worst POS "made in China" rings or bases. Middle of the market pricing will get you a great product.
Link Posted: Yesterday 1:49:25 AM EDT
1.3” is the height I use, and is popular among SR competitors. I could probably even get along with 1.25”
Taller than that is no good for me. The majority of AR mounts are too tall IMO.
Top Top