Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 6/3/2008 4:33:03 PM EST
Anybody ever try these clones from this website "EB Combat Gear and AEG Parts" ?

http://ebaybanned.com/index.php?cPath=32&osCsid=16b18e6a1960de8b25928315a37017b9

Thank­s, Mark
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:07:35 PM EST
You obviously realize that it isn't the real thing so I hope you are not expecting a clone to be as rugged or as well-built as the real thing.

Knowing that, I don't see any problem buying one if you just want to see how it goes and if you just shoot at the range.

Clone optics aren't made to ISO quality standards so it's hard to say if you'll get a clone that will outlast you or one that will crap out in the shipping box.

If you do get one, I would get the clone aimpoints since those have the simplest design of the AR optics. The clone EoTechs don't actually use holographic technology and the clone ACOGs seem to have quality issues (see here, notice how the top adj. knob blocks off the built-in sights.

Oh and get ready for everyone else to chime in about airsoft this, chicom crap that, etc.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:58:26 PM EST
Yeah I realize that. I was just thinking about putting one on this Nordic AR-22 built I was doing.

Thanks, Marcusg
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:50:31 PM EST
The Clonepoints are OK for what you pay for them. They're certainly good enough for a range toy (and, honestly, I expect they'd be good enough for any realistic personal-defense situation you'd face, although I use an EOtech on my rifle). I have no experience with any of the other clone optics.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:12:50 PM EST
Not trying to start anything here. but how many people here are actually in combat situation's that you need the real thing? Don't get me wrong I'm an occasional shooter especially with the price of ammo going up I haven't been able to shoot as much as I would like. I bought a few fake aimpoint clone's to try out and if they suck then oh well I lost $45.00. I figure that I probably shoot that much in one day anyway so not that big of a loss.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:49:41 AM EST

Originally Posted By Billsfan:
Not trying to start anything here. but how many people here are actually in combat situation's that you need the real thing? Don't get me wrong I'm an occasional shooter especially with the price of ammo going up I haven't been able to shoot as much as I would like. I bought a few fake aimpoint clone's to try out and if they suck then oh well I lost $45.00. I figure that I probably shoot that much in one day anyway so not that big of a loss.

If you can hold that rifle with the Chinese crap on it and feel good, then good for you. I can't do it.

And IF you ever do really need that rifle....that chinese crap will fail and so will you.

BUY USA.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:02:42 PM EST

BUY USA.

I like to buy USA as much as the next guy, but unless you have the cash for it, it isn't going to happen. There are no inexpensive US scope makers any more, so unless you have $1000 to dump into an optic (which I surely don't) you're stuck with what's left.

Would I like an ACOG? Hell yes.

Can I afford an ACOG? F**k no. I can't even afford a second hand one.

Do I need some sort of optic so I can shoot? Yep, my eyes are rubbish.

Hence me having bought Bushnell and Tasco and BSA and Leapers stuff, because it's within the budget and functions fine for my speed (plinking and nothing more serious). I wouldn't stake my life on it, true.... But I don't have to. This idea that buying a cheap scope is some sort of treason to the nation is all well and good until you point out that most of the rubbish people buy each and every day isn't made in the US either? Are your clothes, shoes and household goods made in the US? Unlikely, unless you're Amish. Most of your fresh fruit and vegetables is probably imported, along with some stuff like rice, beans etc. Your car was likely "assembled" in the US, which means 80% of the parts are sourced from Mexico and beyond, assuming it even pretends to be US built. Anything electronic in the house? Probably not USA built. Kids toys? plastic goods? Wooden furniture? The same.

We've had globalism rammed down out throats to the point were "buying USA" is nigh on impossible over the spectrum of goods one wants to purchase.

As for the Leapers rear sight? It's probably half-decent. Most of the Leapers stuff is built to the price point, functional and not as trashy as some of the ChiCom stuff out there (eg. NCStar). I've got a Leapers 4x32 scope that's taken a beating and works fine. Their rails are solid enough, as long as you're not some "operator". I've got a nice pair of YHM flip up BUIS myself and would recommend them highly, but if all a fella has got is a little bit of cash and needs a rear sight, the Leapers will probably do fine.

/rant

I apologise for the threadjack, I just see so many honest advice posts turned into snobbish attacks on people for not wanting to dump a ton of cash into a range toy. And that's not a comment aimed specifically at anyone here, or even at AR15.com exclusively, but there's some mighty high horses about people not willing to drop a grand for "the real deal" here it seems.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:47:17 PM EST
I have a clone on my pistol cal AR. I've gone through about 2000 rounds in the last 2 years without any problems. I liked it so much so I bought a real Aimpoint for my carbine. Just don't expect a $500 performance out of a $50 clone and you will be ok.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:42:11 PM EST

Originally Posted By TheRealNCLivingBrit:

BUY USA.

I like to buy USA as much as the next guy, but unless you have the cash for it, it isn't going to happen. There are no inexpensive US scope makers any more, so unless you have $1000 to dump into an optic (which I surely don't) you're stuck with what's left.

Would I like an ACOG? Hell yes.

Can I afford an ACOG? F**k no. I can't even afford a second hand one.

Do I need some sort of optic so I can shoot? Yep, my eyes are rubbish.

Hence me having bought Bushnell and Tasco and BSA and Leapers stuff, because it's within the budget and functions fine for my speed (plinking and nothing more serious). I wouldn't stake my life on it, true.... But I don't have to. This idea that buying a cheap scope is some sort of treason to the nation is all well and good until you point out that most of the rubbish people buy each and every day isn't made in the US either? Are your clothes, shoes and household goods made in the US? Unlikely, unless you're Amish. Most of your fresh fruit and vegetables is probably imported, along with some stuff like rice, beans etc. Your car was likely "assembled" in the US, which means 80% of the parts are sourced from Mexico and beyond, assuming it even pretends to be US built. Anything electronic in the house? Probably not USA built. Kids toys? plastic goods? Wooden furniture? The same.

We've had globalism rammed down out throats to the point were "buying USA" is nigh on impossible over the spectrum of goods one wants to purchase.

As for the Leapers rear sight? It's probably half-decent. Most of the Leapers stuff is built to the price point, functional and not as trashy as some of the ChiCom stuff out there (eg. NCStar). I've got a Leapers 4x32 scope that's taken a beating and works fine. Their rails are solid enough, as long as you're not some "operator". I've got a nice pair of YHM flip up BUIS myself and would recommend them highly, but if all a fella has got is a little bit of cash and needs a rear sight, the Leapers will probably do fine.

/rant

I apologise for the threadjack, I just see so many honest advice posts turned into snobbish attacks on people for not wanting to dump a ton of cash into a range toy. And that's not a comment aimed specifically at anyone here, or even at AR15.com exclusively, but there's some mighty high horses about people not willing to drop a grand for "the real deal" here it seems.

I agree completely. Unfortunately having that mindset around here seems to make you a Obama-loving liberal hippie traitor communist. It's like you can't justify being a weekend shooter on a budget. Instead, you have to replicate what servicemen use because your life is constantly in imminent danger (even in your own home in a gated community in the wealthy suburbs) and you have to take out a 2nd mortgage to own a decent rifle.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:55:44 PM EST
I'm not a carpenter.. just a guy who drills a hole now and again... yet I spend the money and got a top of the line Dewalt... that will last me a life time and I can always rely on it that it will work.

Don't justify a cheap POS chinese made optic soley because you only think you will use it for the range and that your not jumping out of airplanes... quality is quality.. no matter what you use it for..

and you never know if the day comes you may have to rely on something and it fails on you at the worst possible moment..

I have NEVER EVER been dissapointed when I bought something that was quality... on the other hand , I was never surprised when some cheap POS part I purchased broke on me...(Like that cheap $25 Cordless battery charger that when tit's up on me after a week) and I ponied up and bought the $60 one and it still works.... that's called a clue.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:25:53 AM EST

Originally Posted By OlCrow:
If you can hold that rifle with the Chinese crap on it and feel good, then good for you. I can't do it.

And IF you ever do really need that rifle....that chinese crap will fail and so will you.

BUY USA.

so Aimpoint and Schmidt & Bender are out? bummer.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:37:15 PM EST

Like that cheap $25 Cordless battery charger that when tit's up on me after a week) and I ponied up and bought the $60 one and it still works.... that's called a clue.

Sure, upgrading from the $25 model to the $60 model is fine.

Would you have upgraded from the $25 model to the $500 if they did essentially the same thing? I for one do not have that sort of money to throw around.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 1:04:30 PM EST
You miss the point.. That charger will last me a loooooong time... vs. buying 10 cheap ones over the course of time.If I would have bought it the first time, it would have only cost me $60.. but now it cost me $85 plus the shipping.
And if you make all your purchase like that... it all adds up, and when you do the math over time.. you find it's not such a great bargain that you thought it was.

A good optic will last you a lifetime of dependable service and have some resale value as well if you ever decide to sell it.

None of us our Millionaires... I have a Mortgage and a family and I make less the $50K a year... But I save up for the good stuff.. Cash in the Change jar after a year...Work a Saturday or two of overtime...Stop buying snacks and sodas out of the vending machine....etc,etc.

There are many ways to do it....

Problem is.. Everyone wants instant gratification... no one saves anymore...
Get an itch for a red dot sight... Don't want to spend $400... That cheap $50 Chinese one will do...and I can have it RIGHT NOW.

I'm in the process of getting a T-1 Micro dot... Know how I'm doing it???? I'm selling another Optic (ACOG). and saving $20 here and there.. and viola.. I will have something that works great.. will last me a lifetime and can be serviced by a company that will be around to take care of me.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:15:56 PM EST

Originally Posted By Harv24:
You miss the point.. That charger will last me a loooooong time... vs. buying 10 cheap ones over the course of time.If I would have bought it the first time, it would have only cost me $60.. but now it cost me $85 plus the shipping.
And if you make all your purchase like that... it all adds up, and when you do the math over time.. you find it's not such a great bargain that you thought it was.

A good optic will last you a lifetime of dependable service and have some resale value as well if you ever decide to sell it.

None of us our Millionaires... I have a Mortgage and a family and I make less the $50K a year... But I save up for the good stuff.. Cash in the Change jar after a year...Work a Saturday or two of overtime...Stop buying snacks and sodas out of the vending machine....etc,etc.

Get an itch for a red dot sight... Don't want to spend $400... That cheap $50 Chinese one will do...and I can have it RIGHT NOW.

I'm in the process of getting a T-1 Micro dot... Know how I'm doing it???? I'm selling another Optic (ACOG). and saving $20 here and there.. and viola.. I will have something that works great.. will last me a lifetime and can be serviced by a company that will be around to take care of me.

I agree.

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:17:31 PM EST
I ordered a clone point to try on my Spikes .22. I looked at one a friend bought and it didn't look half bad. I'm not expecting the performance of a real Aimpoint. If it holds zero, thats all I'm concerned with. His has on an AR. Mine shoukd be fine on a .22. If not, I've got mounts that will work with a real Aimpoint. I have my duty waepon set up. This ones just for fun.
That said, I have a basket full of crap optics that for what I paid for them, could have bought a quality optic once. I did for my work rifle. If this doesn't work out, I'm out a whole $40.00. Thats 1/10th of what a real Aimpoint set up would cost.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:25:49 PM EST
if it really is a range toy does it matter if you are using irons or an aimpoint look-a-like? if you didn't want to be like the military, why are you buying a clone that looks like it?

i have a 20" A4 style with the M5 RAS that is a range toy, i really want a TA31RCO-A4 but i can't justify the $1000+ price tag so it has a colt carry handle on it... some day it will get the ACOG after i save some cash...

what the hell does poor vision have to do with a 1x reddot scope?

like harv, last time i needed a drill i went to lowe's and bought a DeWalt, in 5 years i've been through several cordless drills - (2) black & decker and a craftsman professional... those 3 drills cost me the same amount as the dewalt... and had motors burnout, batteries die, chargers stop working, etc...
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:34:20 PM EST

Originally Posted By OlCrow:

Originally Posted By Harv24:

I agree.

actually the problem is, that by the time that you save enough for the latest "cool" thing there will be a new ar gadget that is the new rage! and it will cast even more! j/k but it is very true. everyone gets caught up in it from time to time. buy what works for you and trust/hope that you made the right decision. however there are some smoking deals on older model aimpoints now that everyone is all hot and heavy over the micro.
Top Top