Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/15/2005 2:34:51 PM EDT
I lost the bore brush from my .223 cleaning kit.  I can only find a .22 bore brush.  I am pretty sure it will work fine, but I wanted to make sure with you guys it wouldnt hurt my new bushy.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:39:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to ARF and yes.  It is fine to use the .22lr brush on your .223.  The are both the same diameter.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:13:48 PM EDT
[#2]
As long as the kit you used before is not a military kit you should be fine.  If it's a military kit your next post might be:  "Why are the threads on my bore brushes wearing out so fast?"
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:21:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
As long as the kit you used before is not a military kit you should be fine.  If it's a military kit your next post might be:  "Why are the threads on my bore brushes wearing out so fast?"

"Why are the threads on my bore brushes wearing out so fast?"

Umm........  I've owned guns for 34 years and I've never seen a thread on a bore brush.

I have seen threads from cotton swabs entangled in the bristles of a bore brush.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:42:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Why are the threads on my bore brushes wearing out so fast?"

Umm........  I've owned guns for 34 years and I've never seen a thread on a bore brush.

I have seen threads from cotton swabs entangled in the bristles of a bore brush.

i think he was talking about the screw type of threads.  Alot of store bought brushes will not work with military cleaning  rods.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:50:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Commercial rifle and pistol cleaning rods and attachments are typically 8-32 threads.  Military is 8-36, I believe.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:09:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Your .22lr bore brush is smaller in diameter than a .22 Centerfire bore brush.

BTW, get Pro-Shot:
 www.proshotproducts.com/page1.html
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:25:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Your .22lr bore brush is smaller in diameter than a .22 Centerfire bore brush.

BTW, get Pro-Shot:
 www.proshotproducts.com/page1.html

Yes, possible slight difference, based on the brush manufacturer.
In any case, .22 LR brushes are fine for cleaning your AR, just don't use them on your .22 rim-fire rifle, then go back to the AR!

FWIW, Otis bore brushes are among the best I've used.

Hotgun
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:56:32 AM EDT
[#8]
.22 cal Boresnake =
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top