Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 4/29/2015 7:22:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/29/2015 7:25:09 PM EDT by JackalnHyde]
Is it ok to clean under a free float rail? Never really worried about it before, but I got the bright idea to spray under there today with some ballistol for corrosion protection (Humid climate).. left more of a film behind than I'd like. Can't really wipe off the excess since it's a RIS II (PITA to take off, for me). Took it to the range and it seemed to burn off the ballistol after a few quick mag dumps and left behind kind of a brownish sooty color. Sprayed some CLP and some of the brown goo began to drip off. Took a few q-tips to try and clean it off through the vent holes but eventually gave up.

Anyway, anything to worry about? Or just let the excess burn off next range trip. Sorry for the noob question.

Ya, I know.. they're not safe queens.

P.S.,

I find CLP to lube better than the ballistol.. it seemed the cycle rate seemed to slow down.. more with the ballistol as it got hot. Gas tube began to turn a nice brown color too.. but the CLP began to take care of that too.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:18:35 PM EDT
take the end cap off, if you have one, and fish some paper towels down there with a coat hanger.  Then never do that again.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:33:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/29/2015 8:34:35 PM EDT by brodband8]
Never again.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:41:40 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By brodband8:
Never again.
View Quote

Can I just let it burn off?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:02:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By JackalnHyde:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Never again.

I'm sure you could.  It's really not that hard to just remove the 6 screws from your RIS II, and take it off.  Or even just take the bottom rail section off...  I've taken mine off probably 12 times or so from my upper receiver.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:09:26 PM EDT

I'm sure you could.  It's really not that hard to just remove the 6 screws from your RIS II, and take it off.  Or even just take the bottom rail section off...  I've taken mine off probably 12 times or so from my upper receiver.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Never again.

Just did it. Is there anything to explain the scorch marks on the barrel though? Seems odd.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:16:58 PM EDT
It can't be anything serious.  Likely just residue left over that you didn't remove.  Try wiping it with acetone or something.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:47:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/30/2015 12:49:32 AM EDT by JackalnHyde]
It can't be anything serious.  Likely just residue left over that you didn't remove.  Try wiping it with acetone or something.
View Quote

I did. It just has has a odd burnt color, almost the color of permenant marker now.. looks like it made a little trail, which is weird. Acetone makes it blend in, but once oil is added it regains its burnt/purplish marker color. Before wiping it down.. it was a reddish sooty color. Maybe it's just an area the some soot settled into the park or parkerizing didn't take evenly, which I didn't notice until now...

Anyway perhaps I'm over-thinking it, cleaned out all that Ballistol film and just put a light coat of CLP on a lint free cloth. I think I'll just save the Ballistol for cleaning the inside of the barrel.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:35:48 AM EDT
Yeah, I love Ballistol, but an ar lube it is not. Its really not even that great of a lube in general IMO.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:13:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/30/2015 2:14:08 AM EDT by JackalnHyde]
Originally Posted By meep4212:
Yeah, I love Ballistol, but an ar lube it is not. Its really not even that great of a lube in general IMO.
View Quote

Ya.. I went back to CLP. I thought I'd  use it (Ballistol) as a preservative on the metal around the AR, but it just left a nasty film. I think the brown/black residue is from some carbon/gas blow back... too. Maybe a few more rounds and it will seal up a bit.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:40:34 AM EDT
Take a weekend to do it once and never have to bother with it again. Maybe rinsing with hot water if you get dirt or sand in there.

Take it apart, remove the RIS. Get some high temp engine paint with ceramic. Follow the directions and paint the barrel. Now it's protected from rust with a 500 degree resistant, chemical resistant, paint. Once it's cured, put it back together. Hot water will remove most everything and no need to relube.
Top Top