Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2012 5:58:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2012 6:33:36 AM EDT by giraffejeff]
I just took my AR to the range for the first time. I figured out some ways that make it easier to clean, figured I would share.

The cam pin can be used to keep pressure on the extractor while pushing the pin out. Take the cam pin and put it on the bolt face holding open the extractor. Frees up a hand and makes it much easier.

The part of the bolt carrier that the bolt tail goes into could be cleaned by a bore brush for a pistol. I only had a 9mm brush and it was quite a bit loose. Any idea on what caliber fits it? I would guess .40 or .45?

Any other tips or tricks?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:58:26 PM EDT
Hi there.

I would suggest you get a nice cleaning kit (Otis, GI, Dewy rods), so you can properly and easily clean your AR. These stuff are out there to make life easier for us.

I've had good results in cleaning the bolt carrier recess where the bolt tail goes with a used .45 cal bronze brush of course paired with a carbon cutter. There are scrapers to do the job but the brush works for me.

There's no trick really in cleaning your AR just do what works best for you. No need to have a 'white glove inspection' cleaning. Just make sure you lube the needed spots and extra coat of oil for storage purposes.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:54:34 PM EDT
I dont know if its right or wrong but what makes cleaning easier for me is I just take the the bcg out, disassemble the bolt, and soak the whole thing in k1 kero. After a long soak everything comes off pretty easily. Reoil and assemble=done. I don't think this is as agressive as some other cleaners but it works great and makes cleaning pretty easy.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:48:13 PM EDT
Otis cleaning system will make your life easier when it comes to the barrel..I clean my BCG every other trip to the range. Otis cleaning system is so easy 3 passes with their flexible rope rod thing and your good to go. It really does clean the barrel well.
Top Top