Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2005 5:20:37 PM EDT
Hey all I am just wondering how you guys go about cleaning the boresnake. I use mine everytime I go out shooting, I put a little CLP before the brushes. Also how often do you guys feel it necessary to clean the boresnake, so far I have not cleaned mine and its been 6 months or so since I started cleaing my AR with it.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:21:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Toss it in the washing machine every 6 months or so. - Not the dryer though.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:09:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I wash mine alot more often than that.
Second tip:wait until the wife is not home to use the washing machine for the gun care items.And run a cycle of just soap in an empty machine afterwards to remove the oil smell from the machine.Particularly if you use Hoppe's #9.Or your busted.
Soaking the snake in a bucket of 10% Simple Green and 90% warm water works too.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:27:36 PM EDT
[#3]
i just put it in a bucket of hot water and some detergent.

then i wring it out a few times.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:25:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Ok, Ill try the hot water if that does not work ill throw it in the washer. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:34:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I have tried everything short of dunking in acetone or HD solvents.

Do NOT use the washing machine! The boresnake will have lead deposits and having that spread all over your clothing is a big NO NO unless you don't care about elevated lead content in your blood.

I basically just end up using Pine Sol and soaking the snake while swishing it about. After it air dries, it is still greasy to the touch.

I have switched over to an otis cable with disposable patches and dedicated bore brushes.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:27:04 AM EDT
[#6]
im using the otis kit now too.

the snake has lard type stuff coming out of it after awhile and to me thats not all good. worked for the meanwhile.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:07:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I was told to put the Boresnake in an old sock, tie the end of the sock closed and throw it in the washer.  I haven't tried it but it should work.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:09:20 AM EDT
[#8]
You might as well go back to a GI rod for the amount of time it will take. I like the Otis, it just takes forever particularly after a FTX's worth of blank fire. For civilian shooters, your mileage will vary.

Me, I handwash my snakes, both the .30 and .223 one. A little hot water and laundry detergent does fine.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:21:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I read somewhere about using a plastic water bottle with a secure cap, HOT water, liquid soap or dishwashing detergent.

Add everything, boresnake too.  Shake the crap out of it!!  Let sit for a while, shake some more.

Rinse out bottle with HOT water, shake some more to remove any residue, repeat until the water runs clear.

Hang to dry.

I have done this with both of my boresnakes.  Great results, fast and cheap!

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:31:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I put my bore snake in a bucket with warm soapy water rinse by hand then air dry it on a line.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:09:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I wash mine when i`m washing all my detailing towels and what not.I use this soap callled Mirco Restore,seems to do a pretty damm good job.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:57:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I have one for the .223 and .308 they work great and clean very well.

I dip the faty cloth area in bore cleaner run it through, let it soak and run it through a few more times.

Then some barral oil on the same fatty area of cloth and pull it through, let it soak up and pull one more time.

Nice job and no rods and patches..

wally world has the best price on these..11bucks.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top