Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/6/2005 7:10:20 AM EDT
What is the easiest method to clean the build up of carbon on the bolt?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:24:08 AM EDT
Soak in SLIP 2000 for awhile. Wipe down.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:31:03 AM EDT
i just let it sit in solvent while im cleaning the rest of the rifle and then go to it last
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:05:39 AM EDT
Carb and choke cleaner works well, then go over it with a toothbrush and a dental pick.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:10:15 PM EDT
Coat it with MD Labs XF-7 lube, and you will never have carbon build up to clean off. I'v e used it for 9 months now, and it is EVERYTHING that it claims...and that's a bunch!

See the testimonialsand spec. sheet at www.mdtactical.com

Tack
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:35:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By WiseguyThreeOne:
Carb and choke cleaner works well, then go over it with a toothbrush and a dental pick.

Same here, but I also purchased a small bronze bush for my die-grinder to clean the inside of the Carrier, were Q-tips and a tooth brush does not want to reach.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:22:53 AM EDT
BF CLP
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:11:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By eklikwhoa:
i just let it sit in solvent while im cleaning the rest of the rifle and then go to it last

+1

or I take all the parts out minus the carrier and put it them in a cup of hot soapy water, then when I get to them take them out and just wipe off the build-up, it comes right off, and use a hair dryer to blow off any remaining beads of water.

-mark
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:50:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MauserMark:

+1

or I take all the parts out minus the carrier and put it them in a cup of hot soapy water, then when I get to them take them out and just wipe off the build-up, it comes right off, and use a hair dryer to blow off any remaining beads of water.

-mark

Huh never tried that ill have to give that a shot, do you use just like a dish soap?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:56:11 AM EDT
I just scrub the shit off with a stainless steel wire brush.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:58:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Archer36:

Originally Posted By MauserMark:

+1

-mark

Huh never tried that ill have to give that a shot, do you use just like a dish soap?

dishwashing soap, you know the kind that you can have a tiny dot and will make suds forever.

I use it constantly on my C&R rifles to get out corrosive elements after shooting surplus ammo, so I decided to try it on the AR. It works fine. Although, you still have to wipe off the carbon when you take it out of the water. I also (after cleaning out the bore with solvent and the chamber, and also taking a tooth brush to the outside of the chamber) pour the same hot soapy water down the whole upper, you'd be surprised how clean it looks afterwards.

-mark
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:13:18 PM EDT
Do you need to lube the bolt afterwards?

If so where?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:06:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2005 1:06:35 PM EDT by eklikwhoa]

Originally Posted By r4nger:

If so where?

i usually just wipe it down with a light coat of clp on the outer side of the bolt, the gas rings and the bolt lugs.

just a drop or two on a patch and wipe with it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:08:45 PM EDT
diesel fuel and a steel brush.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:16:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By r4nger:

If so where?

The locking lugs and the raised band around the bolt between the locking lugs and the gas ring. That band is the bearing point between the bolt and the carrier.

I also put a little on the back of the bolt where carbon sticks even though it gets fried off after the first round you fire.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:23:05 PM EDT
What is the best way to get the baked-on carbon build-up off the back end of the bolt, behind the gas rings? Stuff is like rock.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:00:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By P-245:
What is the best way to get the baked-on carbon build-up off the back end of the bolt, behind the gas rings? Stuff is like rock.

The best way is to not let the stuff get caked up there in the first place. I have helped a friend who had some pretty bad cakeage in that area. A dremel tool with their bronze brush made easy work of that stuff.

Another tip that I have tried and it works GREAT... polish that area with some metal polish, such as Flitz, and the stuff just won't stick anymore. You don't need to polish the parkerizing off of that area, just polish it from dull black to gloss black. No more build up.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:38:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By markm:
I just scrub the shit off with a stainless steel wire brush.

I, also find this to be the easiest and fastest way.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:10:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By First_LSK:

Originally Posted By P-245:

The best way is to not let the stuff get caked up there in the first place. I have helped a friend who had some pretty bad cakeage in that area. A dremel tool with their bronze brush made easy work of that stuff.

Another tip that I have tried and it works GREAT... polish that area with some metal polish, such as Flitz, and the stuff just won't stick anymore. You don't need to polish the parkerizing off of that area, just polish it from dull black to gloss black. No more build up.

The and easiest way is to:

<­BR>

Leave it.

The carbon won't affect anything and will break off if too much builds up. Some restriction after the gas tube exhaust might do your action some good with low pressured ammo.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:18:56 AM EDT
As mentioned, let it soak as you clean the rest of the weapon.

I use a 50/50 Hoppes/Mineral Spirits mixture. First thing apart is the bolt and carrier. I drop it in the 50/50 mixture while I clean the rest of the weapon, and save it for last. By that time the carbon is fairly soft and comes off pretty easy.

Don’t throw out the mixture when your done, you can reuse it many times over. I store mine in a glass jar. When it’s cleaning time again all the particles from the last cleaning session have settled to the bottom of the jar. Pour out the clean solution and wipe out the crud settled at the bottom with a paper towel. If the cleaning solution is looking pretty nasty I’ll set a plastic funnel in the jar, drop in a coffee filter, and pour the dirty solution through the filter.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:39:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ocuppier:
diesel fuel and a steel brush.

kerosene would also be good.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:56:19 PM EDT
Diesel Fuel??
Dental Picks?
Flitz??

Wow... I gave up all that long time ago. go Shoot, come back, Wipe down with CLP, reinstall, Put away...go out and shoot again, repeat

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:00:22 PM EDT
Toss in the ultrasonc cleaner for an hour or two.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:04:39 PM EDT
Slip 2000 and let it soak for a while
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:32:27 AM EDT
GM TEC
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:34:43 AM EDT
tag
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:39:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Harv24:
Diesel Fuel??
Dental Picks?
Flitz??

Wow... I gave up all that long time ago. go Shoot, come back, Wipe down with CLP, reinstall, Put away...go out and shoot again, repeat

In some places of the world where CLP is not always available, you gotta improvise to keep that M16 working.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:34:22 PM EDT
I soak it in Berrymans Carb cleaner, then after washing off in water and drying, I use ASTROGLIDE, works on my bolt, so why not my AR'S.

hehe..
Top Top