Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2002 10:48:59 PM EST
Do most of you just use CLP (e.g., FP-10) on the outside of the rifle to remove dirt or fingerprints? Would I be better suited using a black silicon cloth when out in the field (camping) to keep it clean?

I just got my AR and haven't had a chance to do much but look at it, so I'm a newbie

TIA,
Chris
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 8:10:59 PM EST
My bushmaster manual suggested using non-detergent motor-oil. I bought a quart, and use a slightly oily black rag to wipe down the outside of my shorty. After over 5000 rounds she looks brand new, and shoots like a dream. I also use the oily rag on the stock, and it too looks brand new. I do use CLP on the sights and a GI brush. Regards, Francis
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 8:25:07 PM EST
I use a teflon gun spray(winchester i think), it was about $4 a can i think, its not as oily as motor oil, or gun oil, its made specificly for firearms. The pump shotgun crowd uses it on actions. Thats actually the reason i first bought it, but now i use it on the exterior of all my guns, protects, and dosent leave a greasy feel. Just spray on/wipe most of it off and bamo, clean, handprint-free gun.
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 7:16:33 PM EST
Thanks for the replies, that gives me some suggestions.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 12:52:37 AM EST
CLP on a rag and then buff it into the finish. Buff it again with a clean rag and presto, it looks great!
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 3:59:20 AM EST
I use CLP followed by a silicone cloth to get rid of finger prints and it give it a nice matte semi gloss finish. CLP and a rag leaves bits of fiber and collects dust/finger prints. The silicone works best on a clean rifle and the CLP does the cleaning since silicone alone wont.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 4:33:46 AM EST
After crawling all day in the mud with my M16, I use to take a shower with it, then oil her down. LOL
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 9:20:46 PM EST
I saw a website that suggested using rubbing alcohol to clean off the exterior metal parts, and then shining it up w/ WD40. It claimed that RRA used that technique to refurbish older beat up parts. Not sure if I'll try it w/ mine, as I hate the smell of WD40, but it sounds like it would shimmer a little bit closer to new.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 11:18:38 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/7/2003 11:22:00 PM EST by desertmoon]
I do exactly what ThomasJefferson does if my guns get super filthy...I hose it down with HOT water, Dawn dishsoap and nice soft brush then a HOT rinse. Canned air from WalMart or office max is great for blasting out the excess water then use WD_40 to chase out the rest....let soak in the WD for a while, blast again, oil properly and store. BUT: For normal cleaning in AZ just do the bore clean all surfaces with MP-7, or Break Free...., wipe with break free (VERY LIGHTLY as to not attract too much dust and such) and you're done.
Top Top