Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/21/2005 5:25:57 AM EDT
I just got my first AR and have yet to shoot it.  I've been reading a lot of posts where people recommend the Dewy rod and definately a one piece.  The problem is that I had recently purchased a large and complete cleaning kit prior to this which is segmented and it wasn't cheep.  I'm wondering why I can't just wrap a layer of teflon tape aroung the rod in order to protect the barrel, etc.  If/when it does peel off I'll just wrap another layer on??  I know, don't be such a cheap ass and buy another one but I can't justify it since I've never had any problems before with using a segmented rod in my Remington 700 bdl.  Anyone try something like this, I can't see why it wouldn't work...  Thanks.h.gifh.gif
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 12:03:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Teflon tape as in like what you use for plumbing applications? If so, it is not very durable. Also, grit can and will adhere to or imbed in the tape, defeating the purpose entirely.

In the long run a one piece rod is cheap insurance. Compared to the cost of having a barrel re-crowned or replaced altogether, it is cheap.

If the cost of a one piece rod is such a concern, you probably shouldn't be shooting.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:23:43 PM EDT
[#2]
What is the rod you have made of?

A lot of what you hear about the horrible catastrophic damage using an XXX cleaning rod does are somewhat exagerated.

The key is being careful, wiping the rod between each trip down the barrel while it is taking out lots of gunk, and using a barrel guide to keep the rod from hitting the muzzle or chamber.

Just be careful with your cleaning and you will be fine -- especially if the cleaning kit comes from a well-known manufacturer.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:56:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I have used the Otis pull through system for many years with great results. I don't care for their patches as I use the GI type. A universal kit will do everthing you own or you can buy the coated cable in a mini kit or by itself from Midway. Your brushes will last twice as long by cleaning in the same direction from breech to muzzle. No fooling around with rod guides etc.
As a side note, the Dewey or the Sinclair AR chamber/bolt locking lugs cleaning system is a time saver and you will avoid pulling crud from the lugs into the chamber and through the barrel. Midway sells the Dewey.

Dave McGrath
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:22:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I just got my first AR and have yet to shoot it.  I've been reading a lot of posts where people recommend the Dewy rod and definately a one piece.  The problem is that I had recently purchased a large and complete cleaning kit prior to this which is segmented and it wasn't cheep.  I'm wondering why I can't just wrap a layer of teflon tape aroung the rod in order to protect the barrel, etc.  If/when it does peel off I'll just wrap another layer on??  I know, don't be such a cheap ass and buy another one but I can't justify it since I've never had any problems before with using a segmented rod in my Remington 700 bdl.  Anyone try something like this, I can't see why it wouldn't work...  Thanks.

walmart sells a teflon coated rod for 5-8 dollars 1 peace. after a while that tape will start to cost alot.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:02:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Good points to consider.  Thanks
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:57:21 AM EDT
[#6]
The Otis cleaning cable works better IMHO. If I were to get a rod for all my rifles, I'd have to get a 36"-40" single piece rod. Where do I store such a monstrosity???

My problem now is that my 40" Otis cable is a tad too long to use in my 4.5" Glock 17 barrel. LOL
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:05:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Metro;
I got my kit back about 94-95. It had a short 6" cable  for pistols.

Dave McGrath
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:33:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm wondering why I can't just wrap a layer of teflon tape aroung the rod in order to protect the barrel, etc.  If/when it does peel off I'll just wrap another layer on?? Thanks.

Try looking for a piece of electrical wire heat shrink. I was thinking about locktighting my GI Issue cleaning rod sections together then slipping on a full length piece of heat shrink and hitting it with a heat gun. I ended up buying a one piece rod from Kleen Bore but still might do the heat shrink trick.

secure.armorholdings.com/kleen-bore/onepiecekits.html
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:30:17 AM EDT
[#9]
I ended up just buying an Otis cleaning kit, it should be here shortly.  Thanks to all those who responded.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top