Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/28/2009 8:37:39 AM EDT
I'm cleaning my AR and am planning on going to the range later today.  It's a CMMG upper with a chrome lined bore that I purchased Brand New.  It's never been fired.  

I started out by running hoppes powder solvent and then some dry patches, followed by hoppes benchrest and more dry patches, then an oil patch and a dry patch.  Both Hoppes products got some dirt out and came out looking green.  I then looked in the bore and saw a little crud in there so....

I went to my bore brush and ran it a couple times to get whatever is in there a little more loose and ran an oil patch which came out black.  Ok...  

So I went back to the Hoppes solvents for another round and finished up with some more oil, and still saw some crud in there, so...

I went back to my bore brush and ran it 4 times and the next oil patch came out black, so...

I went through the whole process again and decided to run a wet patch of Hoppes Benchrest and let it soak for a few hours, so thats where I'm at now.  I honestly wasn't expecting that much dirt coming out of a new bore.  Am I doing something wrong?

**UPDATE**  Every time I run a bore brush it seems to loosen up debris so I've been doing that for like 20 cycles (1 pass with bore brush, 1 pass with patch soaked with Hoppes 9 Powder solvent) and the patch has been coming out with a good amount of grey residue every time.  Is there something wrong with this?  I don't see why it shouldn't be clean before I shoot it for the first time, and a couple people have posted replies about a bore preserver coating from the  factory that you're supposed to remove before shooting.  Am I on the right track?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:51:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I have never used Hoppes benchrest and no nothing about it but I do know some cleaners with high ammonia content will eat a chrome lined bore if left in the there too long.  Read bottle.    

I think your being a little to obsessive about this and I'm sure some of this crud your finding is coming from the chamber.   Clean the chamber also.   I wouldn't worry about about lubing the bore, chrome lined shouldn't' need any but it won't hurt anything.  

Don't forget to take the bolt apart and clean it and lube the gas rings.  

Congrats on the new shooter.  

Shoot the piss out the thing. One of my pet peeves is a bore guide, if you don't have one pick one up, cheap and will keep the throat from being damaged and also makes it easier to clean.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:52:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:57:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Not at all.  you said that you had a New Barrel that was never fired.  What is breaking loose is Cosmoline (Spelling).  it is that waxy film. It is the protection that most new barrels come with to prevent rust and crap.  I have found that high octane Gasolene works best at breaking down the crap, but be real careful to get it all off the gun before you pull that first trigger otherwise you may be missing a few eyelashes.  Ensure that you get all that crap out before you cook it in with rifle fire.  once baken on, it is even harder to remove.  Ask any Soldier issued a brand new weapon who didn't clean it properly before going to the Range.

you can also use very very hot water and then a lot of rust prevention.  or keep using the Hoppes or CLP.  Hoppes or CLP is actually the best way to clean it, but it takes more time.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:01:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Run a Hoppes only patch through the bore. Follow up with a dry patch or two. You’re now ready to head out to the range.

Don’t forget to field strip the rest of the rifle, clean and look things over, and lube IAW the Operators Manual or my tacked thread on page one.

this,  and dont forget a quick function check
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:03:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:03:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I'm cleaning my AR and am planning on going to the range later today. It's a CMMG upper with a chrome lined bore that I purchased Brand New. It's never been fired.

I started out by running hoppes powder solvent and then some dry patches, followed by hoppes benchrest and more dry patches, then an oil patch and a dry patch. Both Hoppes products got some dirt out and came out looking green. I then looked in the bore and saw a little crud in there so....

I went to my bore brush and ran it a couple times to get whatever is in there a little more loose and ran an oil patch which came out black. Ok...

So I went back to the Hoppes solvents for another round and finished up with some more oil, and still saw some crud in there, so...

I went back to my bore brush and ran it 4 times and the next oil patch came out black, so...

I went through the whole process again and decided to run a wet patch of Hoppes Benchrest and let it soak for a few hours, so thats where I'm at now. I honestly wasn't expecting that much dirt coming out of a new bore. Am I doing something wrong?
How certain are you that it's "new?"

They do get a lot of shit in them from manufacturing.

Be advised, if you used a used brush, and didn't clean it first, you may have just cleaned it using the inside of your barrel.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:08:43 AM EDT
[#7]
You are going to wear that gun out before you even shoot it!

Seriously, they don't have to be spotless, just well-lubricated. Don't worry about it, a well-lubricated dirty gun will run fine and not damage the firearm.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:40:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Run a couple of patches through the bore. Put a little lubricant is the appropriate places (consult instructions that should be with the gun) and go shooting!  Some folks want to make cleaning into a highly complicated process that only those with a doctorate in gun cleaning can master. Believe me, if cleaning an AR was all that complex, it would not be G.I. issue!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:17:43 AM EDT
[#9]
It was likely tested fired before leaving CMMG.

1 or 2 rounds, I dont really know, maybe a BETA dump!!!

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:09:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It was likely tested fired before leaving CMMG.

A strong possibility with the green color from the bore cleaner.

Between manufacturing oils and storage preservatives typically applied to metal parts it isn't surprising that you would have gunk to clean out even if it hadn't been test fired.  Just illustrates why you always need to clean throughly and inspect before shooting a new firearm.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:05:58 PM EDT
[#11]
**UPDATE**  Every time I run a bore brush it seems to loosen up debris so I've been doing that for like 20 cycles (1 pass with bore brush, 1 pass with patch soaked with Hoppes 9 Powder solvent) and the patch has been coming out with a good amount of grey residue every time.  Is there something wrong with this?  I don't see why it shouldn't be clean before I shoot it for the first time, and a couple people have posted replies about a bore preserver coating from the  factory that you're supposed to remove before shooting.  Am I on the right track?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:26:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Dude...just shoot it already.  I'm sure it'll be fine.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:27:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Are you using a fresh brush (or spraying off all the crap between the bristles with gun scrubber or something else like lighter fluid)?

The green copper staining may be off the brush if it's got bronze bristles (the Hoppes is attacking it) or the actual brush core if it's brass.

Just shoot the dang thing already and enjoy it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:12:35 PM EDT
[#15]
i am using a fresh brush and I am being careful not to get and copper solvent on it.  I don't think powder solvent can hurt it but I'll clean it just to be safe.  Oh yeah and it looks like the range won't be happening today.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:54:27 PM EDT
[#16]
wow that is some anal cleaning, I put two wet patches down mine with clp, then a dry one, lightly cleaned and clp all metal parts then fired, ran like a champ!  Get out there and fire it, I am sure it will be okay!
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:34:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Stop cleaning it. Lube it and shoot it and get back to us.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top