Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2002 4:19:44 AM EDT
Are there any really good Cleaning kits that have all the tools to clean my Chrome lined 16" AR?  

Im still new to the Ar so bear with me

And does anyone recommend any other tools that will make my cleaning more easier?
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 4:32:06 AM EDT
[#1]
an AR cleans up easily without many tools.
that's the point.

I have heard the govt "kit" will scratch the bore.  I have used Dewey rods, brass brushes and chamber brushes.  I have not seen any "kits" so I made my own.

all you need is:
1 or two good rods. (depending on if you want to change jag and brush all the time)
.22cal brass brush (cheap when sold in packs of 12)
.22cal jag
.223 chamber brush.
chamber brush handle
brass brush.
.22 cal patches. (large bag)
12 gauge patches (small bag) for area cleaning.

you may want to get a bore guide.

the Dewey rods are expensive but very durable and well worth the money.  I made a PVC storage case out of 1/2" pipe and 1 1/2" fittings (for the handles).
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 12:59:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup, Otis has a M-16/AR-15 specific cleaning kit with a triangular pouch designed to fit into the butt-stock storage area.  EXTREMELY GOOD KIT, much better than the GI kit.  It costs about $30, though.  

With this kit, you will not even *need* the bore guide, as the cleaning "rod" is a plastic-coated stainless steel cable in the Otis kit.

www.otisgun.com
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 8:24:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you fellas for the advice[:)]

And i was wondering when i complete my First Ar and when i break it in i should clean the barrel and the bolt carrier assembly? And since it is chrome lined i should jusst shoot 200-300 rounds then juss clean and lube with some clp and some patches till dry?

Edited to add-What is a bore snake and is it good to have one handy for the cleaning of my Ar?

Thnx
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 7:57:56 PM EDT
[#4]
AR break-in (assuming a chrome lined barrel) is simplicity itself.  BE SURE the bolt carrier/bolt assembly is well lubed with CLP.  In the case of break-in, wetter is not necessarily bad.  Excess CLP will fly-out anyway.  As for the barrel/chamber, just a few passes with a brush and then patches until they come out clean is fine.  Some folks consider their AR's "broke-in" after as little as 200 rounds. My opinion is 500+ rounds (from experience).  

Oh, since your AR is chrome lined, there is no need to leave a film of CLP in the chamber/bore area for short term storage (6 months or less).  These areas are highly corrosion resistant, and are unlikely to rust.  In fact, a film of CLP in the bore will cause reduced accuracy/altered point of impact for the first 5 or so shots.

A bore snake is a nylon rope with brass brushes built in and a weighted end that drops through the bore.  Think of it as a flexible cleaning rod, that can be rolled up and also tossed in the washer.  The idea behind the bore snake is that due to the large surface area it will only take one or two passes to make the bore clean.  The bore snake is OK for AR's, but not very effective in getting the barrel truly clean in my opinion.  

I much recommend the OTIS kit over any other cleaning device short of going whole-hog and getting a dewey one piece stainless steel coated cleaning rod and a breech-end cleaning rod guide.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 6:39:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree with the Otis kit.  Their tactical cleaning kit (750) covers you for everything from a .177 airgun to 10ga shotgun in a zippered pouch the size of a big mac.  It's great.  And, if you consider that for $40 you get the value of multiple kits and jigs, it's a home run.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 1:29:52 PM EDT
[#6]
The Otis kit sucks.
One more piece of useless crap I have bought.
It's a pain in the ass to use, and if you have a round stuck in the chamber or a bullet in the barrel good luck trying to get it out with that piece of wire.

Bore Snakes are very handy to use if you want to clean out the barrel quickly. The downside is how to clean out the Boresnake when it is dirty. I handwash mine in a bucket as I won't run it through the washer.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 4:59:38 PM EDT
[#7]
You could always run it through the dishwasher on the top rack.  [;)]
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top