Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 4/7/2006 10:17:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/7/2006 10:18:14 PM EDT by M4A1OwnsYou]
Just ordered a cleaning rod. I'm just curious, since I'm using a chamber guide, should I clean the chamber/throat/neck first?

I have a chamber brush and similar shaped mops. Just run the mop with bore cleaner or CLP in there, the brush, and then maybe a clean mop?

Then insert the chamber guide and clean the bore? Obviously the chamber guide bypasses the chamber .

What's your advice?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:40:52 AM EDT
I clean the chamber after I clean the barrel with a chamber brush, then a jag and patch that fits the chamber, lightly lubed with Dulite Quickseal (my fav lube). I use a brush on the locking lugs or a patch on a folded over pipe cleaner (see there is a reason for pipe cleaners).

Lois
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:24:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/8/2006 8:47:21 AM EDT by M4A1OwnsYou]

Originally Posted By Tzvia:
I clean the chamber after I clean the barrel with a chamber brush, then a jag and patch that fits the chamber, lightly lubed with Dulite Quickseal (my fav lube). I use a brush on the locking lugs or a patch on a folded over pipe cleaner (see there is a reason for pipe cleaners).

Lois

A jag that fits the chamber? Why after though? Couldn't that cause some of the crap to fall or drip into the bore?

As for pipe cleaners, I love those things :)

I have a stockpile of them for cleaning my .22 and the AR.

I usually clean the locking lugs as part of the upper receiver since crap can't really get into the barrel/chamber from cleaning them. I just get in there with cue tips and such after I'm done with the throat/neck and the bore.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:53:05 AM EDT
You know, finish the bore, remove the guide, clean the chamber and lugs. Then wipe the inside of the upper as needed. I only use Balistrol and dulite to clean the chamber and since those are 'lubes' I don't care if they get in the bore. They get wiped out with a patch after I wipe the chamber dry before I shoot it again since I only shoot with a dry chamber and bore.

To each his (or her as in my case) own. her
Lois

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:53:33 PM EDT
Makes sense. Thanks.
Top Top