Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/20/2010 3:20:45 PM EDT
I have some of the radway green .308 ammo on links from wideners that has a thick covering of oil on the rounds. It's not a moist oil, but it gets your hands "sticky" after handling about 20 of the rounds, and has a good bit of darker coloring on the brass. I am not worried about looks, but I want to be sure this ammo causes no problems in my lmt mws I have on the way.

Can I use steel wool to clean up the brass portion of the round?

Should I have any concerns about firing this ammo from my new rifle?

The rounds look good visually except the discoloration and some differences in seating depth, but I have always heard RG was good ammo.

I can post pics later if that would help.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:57:59 PM EDT
[#1]
yes––pics please.

how'd the rounds get oil on them? packing? spill?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:50:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I have not used that ammo but I would suggest that you may want to invest in a Lyman 1200 Turbo and a $15 tub of green media.  Use old fabric sheets from the dryer to take up residue and let 80 rounds per load tumble for 4 hours.

Your rifle will then cycle and fire those little babies just fine.

FB
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:43:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Steel wool is fine, i used that and a drill and made some of my reloads rediculously shiny
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:47:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Steel wool is fine, i used that and a drill and made some of my reloads rediculously shiny

Try copper wool instead.  It's hard enough to knock off any crap and won't scratch the brass.

I use these and it works like a champ.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:24:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
yes––pics please.

how'd the rounds get oil on them? packing? spill?

How the rounds come out of the ammo cans, 4 round sections due to the tracers being removed:

I don't have a great camera so the details may not be easily seen. There are marks where the links where sitting on the brass that are darker than the brass around it. These are the "oily" spots. The round on the paper towel has been wiped and the black stuff is whats on every round, leaves your fingers sticky to touch the ammo. I'm not worried about the discoloration, just the tacky oily feel. The oil is mainly on the steel links for packing I assume, when you de link a round, the under side of the link is still moist if that makes sense.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 7:47:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I bet that oily feeling stuff is just a little preservative to keep the links from rusting.  I wouldn't even worry about the stuff, just shoot it as is.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 11:58:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I forgot to add that a cap full Of NuFinish Polish from Wacky World will help in the mix
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:38:29 PM EDT
[#8]
A rag and some Mineral spirits might wipe that off , just don't get it near the primer.

BTW, did you know 0000 steelwool is amazingly flammable, light some with a match, or touch a 9 volt batterys leads to it.....kind handy for starting campfires.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top