Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2004 8:21:14 PM EDT
Need a nice one-piece rod to clear stuck cases or FTEs. Should be able to withstand moderate pounding from a hammer. Please post a link or direct to someplace else where I can get one. TIA
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:43:24 PM EDT

First instict is to suggest that possibly you might want to consider finding better ammo or a properly chambered rifle to avoid the "Stuck like hell!" expended casing, but then we all have had a time or two when that isn't possible.

I keep G.I. rod sections around for this reason.

They are cheap, and if I trash several getting a stuck case out, it's no big deal.

Have also found that a good application of Kroil down the bore and then waiting while the rifle is rested muzzle up assists in the matter considerably.

From there, clean chambers and good ammo reduces the use of the hammer on the rod.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:50:06 PM EDT
I wouldn't wreck a "nice" rod by pounding on it. This is a job for the USGI rod, IMHO. Ditto figuring out the problem sooner rather than later.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:40:43 AM EDT
Thanks that what I figured.

I usually never have any problems, but I often take my rifle on trips far away from home (Nevada, Colorodo, Arizona, Texas) and I have to have a rod just in case.

I only use Lake City stuff and Q3131a from Bass Pro but if something were to go wrong, it could end my shooting trip immediately. And then I would have to figure out how to get back on a plane with a stuff case in the chamber (they have checked once or twice before).

Where do I get these GI rods online?

Top Top