Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 4/8/2006 9:49:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/8/2006 9:50:36 AM EDT by Bigger_Hammer]
Hello AR15ers,

Just got back from range, and while cleaning my M4gery, my shooting buddy hosed down my EoTech lense with a huge shot of CLP right onto the lense. "Thanks Frank! I 'm sure it will keep the glass from rusting!"

I'd like to clean it off, but wanted to know if the experienced shooters out there had a recommendation so as not to goop it up. Don't know if the EoTechs have anything special or delicated on the exterior lense that might need special care. I was thinking of using Alcohol and lense cleaning paper perhaps?

Anything else I need to know?

THANKS!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:00:02 AM EDT
CLP is going to be a PITA to remove. I dont have an EOthingie but I would imagine that the lens is anti reflection coated on the front, if so, you need to use care in cleaning it. Maybe try a microfiber lens cloth first (and pitch it afterwards), followed by a spray bottle of AR lens cleaner and another microfiber cloth. Alcohol would not be recommended for an AR coated lens, if it's NOT coated then alcohol should be fine (although might streak).

An AR coated lens will have a bluish or greenish tint like a camera lens, if you look at the lens at an angle.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:16:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/10/2006 7:25:11 PM EDT by Trey-W]
rubbing alcohol will clean it. The Eotech isn't coated with anything special.

edit: EOTech says dont do it
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:36:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Trey-W:
rubbing alcohol will clean it. The Eotech isn't coated with anything special.

According to Eotech it does.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:59:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/10/2006 7:25:52 PM EDT by Trey-W]
Ive used IPA on my eotech and it did not harm it.

Special refered to something that needed extra attention during cleaning

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:07:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Gamma762:
Alcohol would not be recommended for an AR coated lens, if it's NOT coated then alcohol should be fine (although might streak).

What about using a cleaning solution made specifically for coated eye glass lenses?

Paladin
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:12:10 AM EDT
Dawn dishwashing detergent will get rid of it, the EO is waterproof after all, (that said I'd remove the batts before washing).

Mike
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:58:10 AM EDT

Did they reccommend a brand of Indian Pale Ale? I have Abbey Dubble in the the frig. think it will work?

To get the majority of it off, why not try warm soapy water, something like Dawn. If your hands are sensitive try Palmolive. That's what Magg would suggest. EOTech's are water proof up to 33 feet.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:07:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 223Rem:

Did they reccommend a brand of Indian Pale Ale? I have Abbey Dubble in the the frig. think it will work?

To get the majority of it off, why not try warm soapy water, something like Dawn. If your hands are sensitive try Palmolive. That's what Magg would suggest. EOTech's are water proof up to 33 feet.

IPA also stands for Isopropyl Alcohol. Its an industrial term.....
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:11:27 AM EDT

No kidding? Means something completely different in my industry, but there is that alcohol commonality.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:11:28 AM EDT
Get the LaRue Eotech mount so next time you can remove it for cleaning.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:48:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/11/2006 9:50:51 AM EDT by Trey-W]

No kidding? Means something completely different in my industry, but there is that alcohol commonality.

What brewery do you work for? I've been to SweetWater and ABC (Atlanta Brewing Company) in atlanta. The beer tours are pretty good, except for the hippie/metrosexual infestation as of late. The Anheuser-Busch plant in Cartersville is next on my list.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:23:18 AM EDT
Second the dish soap. It will work.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:31:01 PM EDT
I'll get out the Palmolive (Hey my hands will think they are at a spa, right?) and give that a try to get all the "oily rainbow" out of my viewing window.

Thanks All

BIGGER_HAMMER
Top Top