Warning

 

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/15/2014 10:38:24 PM EDT
I have an unused Colt BCG that came covered in some sort of preservation grease. I bought it three years ago or so. The grease has dried up and is all caked on. I tried cleaning it up with a degreaser, doesn't seem to come off very easily, and the degreaser gave the bolt that sort of "dried out" faded look. Putting oil back on it doesn't seem to help. What is the best way to clean this thing up?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:47:53 PM EDT
The grease is probably cosmolene. I bought an AK parts kit years ago that was caked on it. I used solvent (gun cleaner) and elbow grease, mine wasn't dried out though.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:51:45 PM EDT
Soak it in mineral spirits....
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:59:29 PM EDT
Kerosene will work to
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 11:01:05 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MIL_D0T:
Soak it in mineral spirits....
View Quote


This works.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 11:21:45 PM EDT
Set your oven to 125-150, heat the cosmo
and it will drip off.

Place a pie tin or foil under it to catch the cosmo.

Thank me later.

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 11:21:57 PM EDT
If its cosmoline - try putting the BCG in a pot of hot water and let it soak and soften. Stiff bristle brush (nylon) after its been in there a while, disassemble and clean with degreeaser all the nooks and crannies out and then relube.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 11:23:58 PM EDT
I thought cosmo was long obsolete?
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 3:58:36 AM EDT
boil it




Link Posted: 11/16/2014 4:00:22 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dunragit:
boil it




View Quote



sorry, thought I was in GD
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:22:51 AM EDT
The ultimate method for removing dried on cosmolene etc, is EasyOff oven cleaner. Take the part outside, spray with hose, spray liberally with oven cleaner, let sit for 30 minutes, hose off again and wipe off with rags. In extreme cases, a second treatment may be necessary, but usually not.

Works great on dirty milsurp stocks too, but you need to take care to wipe down the wood with a rag soaked in vinegar, after it comes clean. The acidic vinegar neutralizes any residual lye remaining from the oven cleaner and eliminate damage to the wood. - CW
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:46:19 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By chasw:
The ultimate method for removing dried on cosmolene etc, is EasyOff oven cleaner. Take the part outside, spray with hose, spray liberally with oven cleaner, let sit for 30 minutes, hose off again and wipe off with rags. In extreme cases, a second treatment may be necessary, but usually not.

Works great on dirty milsurp stocks too, but you need to take care to wipe down the wood with a rag soaked in vinegar, after it comes clean. The acidic vinegar neutralizes any residual lye remaining from the oven cleaner and eliminate damage to the wood. - CW
View Quote



Or rather than deal with a concoction of harsh chemicals, use hot water and dish soap along with an old toothbrush
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 12:10:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/16/2014 12:10:17 PM EDT by Sig_Prude]
Would Simple Green work?

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 12:30:14 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sig_Prude:
Would Simple Green work?

View Quote
Yes, Dish soap will work also.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 12:49:46 PM EDT
Cosomoline is basically grease mixed with wax. As others have said, heat is the best for melting the wax for removal and degreaser/soap for removing the grease.
there are people that still use it, a friend just got a Bushmaster that had it as well.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 4:27:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/16/2014 4:28:10 PM EDT by sbt12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Or rather than deal with a concoction of harsh chemicals, use hot water and dish soap along with an old toothbrush
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 4:29:18 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Or rather than deal with a concoction of harsh chemicals, use hot water and dish soap along with an old toothbrush
View Quote

+1
You can tell the old timers on here! lol
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 4:47:44 PM EDT
Hot, soapy water and a plastic brush....flush with WD 40 or rubbing alcohol to chase the water when you're done. Lube as appropriate.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:41:17 PM EDT
Is have always just used a heat gun or hair dryer to melt it then use a solvent and tooth brush to clean it up.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:46:51 PM EDT
Don't be a wuss, good old gasoline will clean that shit off fast.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:16:41 PM EDT
Try a heat gun on it first. If the stuff softens up with the heat gun, it's almost certainly cosmoline, and will do well in a warm oven. If it doesn't soften, it's something else and needs harsher methods.

I would not use oven cleaner on a BCG, because I'm not certain that the corrosive chemicals in the cleaner would leave the phosphate coating alone. Heating it up and using mineral spirits should work for any sort of preservative.
Top Top