Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/4/2006 8:05:32 PM EDT
Just got done cleaning my Bushy and was thinking there's got to be a better way to clean all the little parts and hard to reach areas, however, I haven't found it yet. What are some of your ways for cleaning all of these?

New Question: I have been hearing a lot about break cleaner and such, what if you have expensive optics on you're rifle? Will this be an issue?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:42:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you dont have a chamber brush a 9mm bore brush will work on the chamber then use a 12 bore brush on the locking lugs. Brake cleaner works well, so does starter fluid.

Doesn't starting fluid smell . . . like . . etherrrrrrrrrrr?  

that's why you always clean guns in a WELL VENTILATED AREA!

That's why I'm so light headed
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:46:11 PM EDT
[#2]
You people are nuts with all that brake cleaner bullshit.

CLP and toothbrush.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You people are nuts with all that brake cleaner bullshit.

Yeah, because it's nuts to do something quickly when you can do it slowly and get messier in the process.

Besides, CLP doesn't get you high....therefore it's not as good as brake cleaner.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:50:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Chlorinated Brake Cleaner & Old tooth brushes
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:50:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:57:31 PM EDT
[#6]
so why don't some people like Brake Cleaner???  Too harsh or something?

EPOCH

ETA: I got thru a ton of CLP, q-tips, papertowels, etc.  Would be willing to give brake cleaner a try if it's safe.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:58:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had this pain too.  Especially on certain parts like the inside of the bolt carrier.  No way will a toothbrush work there unless maybe your brush has bristles facing 90 degrees from the normal direction.

What is simple green, btw?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:03:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Would be willing to give brake cleaner a try if it's safe.

Just don't try using it inside.  The spray can's stream has unusally high velocity.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:44:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Q-tips or carb or Brake cleaner
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I use a copper solvent for the barrel (Barnes), but for EVERYTHING else I use CLP with either a cooton swab, "dental" picks, brass/steel brush, old toothbrush, and elbow grease.

Then... a very light coat of CLP to lube and I'm done.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:54:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:59:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you dont have a chamber brush a 9mm bore brush will work on the chamber then use a 12 bore brush on the locking lugs. Brake cleaner works well, so does starter fluid.

Doesn't starting fluid smell . . . like . . etherrrrrrrrrrr?  

that's why you always clean guns in a WELL VENTILATED AREA!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:10:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:12:42 PM EDT
[#14]
+ a million for brake cleaner!  at $1/can at wally world, you can't beat it.  i just pressure blast the chamber, scrub it with the chamber brush, blast, repeat until it's spotless.

you havnt cleaned an AR until you have gotten something nasty and corrosive in your eye
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:15:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Solvent with a stiff-bristled "toothbrush" made for the purpose.  And brake cleaner.  Lotsa brake cleaner.  It removes the crud and your skin.  Extra exciting if it splashes in your eyes.    <----me with BC in my eyes, followed by lots of talking with the Lord.  

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:15:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Simple green and the hot water out of the  shower head.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:15:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I never thought about break cleaner, It works pretty good huh
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:17:18 PM EDT
[#18]
clp-soaked patches pushed around with dental picks
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:17:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I never thought about break cleaner, It works pretty good huh

Yup
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:17:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Power washer connected to a barrel full of hot Kerosene.

It really gets everything out of there.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Anyone use Chambermaid cleaning stars...?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:18:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Q-Tips with CLP.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:21:45 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

CLP
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:23:56 PM EDT
[#24]
I spray in lots of WD-40, scrub what I can reach with an old toothbrush, and spray in more WD-40.  Then blow it out with 100 psi compressed air.

Nice and clean.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:24:58 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Try cutting off some q-tip heads and using them on the dental pick.  Great for the locking lug area.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:26:04 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CLP

Cleaner, Lubricant, Preservative ala Breakfree, Firepower 10, etc.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:27:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Is this worth a shit?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:28:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, since you don't use your toothbrush ...
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:19:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
+ a million for brake cleaner!  at $1/can at wally world, you can't beat it.  i just pressure blast the chamber, scrub it with the chamber brush, blast, repeat until it's spotless.

you havnt cleaned an AR until you have gotten something nasty and corrosive in your eye

Its like a limpdick, ya just cant beat it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:19:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Sure do!I realy like the chamber stars.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:20:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Cotton swabbs.  Make-up remover pads, bristled brush, pick
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:20:55 PM EDT
[#32]
strip it and use that clp blast shit,

i use scrubbing bubbles too, works gently, but its firm with dirt.

i won't use brake cleaner, i have some uber pimp m16s in my arms room thanx to brake cleaner.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:35:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:38:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Yardsale Waterpic with hot soapy water.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:40:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Best thing I've found to get in the nooks-n-crannies is brake clean and Q-tips.
For the barrel, I like to use a boresnake.

The only thing I don't like about the brake clean is how it turns the anodizing chalky once it's blown off and dried.
To cure that, I just spray everything down with WD40, hit it again with compressed air, then wipe it down with a soft towel. Bath towels work great, but sometimes pisses off the wife.
Before re-assembly, I lube (generously) all the friction points with CLP Break-free.
Once back together, everything runs buttery smooth.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:43:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Q-Tips, Pipe Cleaners(No NOT for the Gas Tube) and Carb Cleaner
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:12:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:49:48 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm with whoever said to forget about brake cleaner, it works but there are much more health-friendly products out there.

Besides it's mainly just acetone and stuff like heptane. Who needs an extra-strength dose of organic carbons soaking into their skin?

Believe it or not Simple green works pretty darned well (especially with something like the water pick to get it into the lugs and blast grime away).
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:11:31 PM EDT
[#40]
You guys use different toothbrushes to clean your guns and brush your teeth? Hmm, Ill have to try that.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:14:52 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

all the time. Excellent product. Soak it with CLP and swirl them around.

only way to clean the chamber
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:45:38 AM EDT
[#42]
The best chamber brush in the world is the nylon brush and plastic rod that comes with every Glock.  Stick it in the chamber and spin spin spin reverse direction spin spin spin then do a little of the old in and out and you are done.

Now the rest of you have a reason to buy a Glock.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:29:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Ballistrol and a nylon brush.  WD40.  I stay away from harsher stuff.  Not needed.  If ballistrol can take off black powder crud, it can remove the small amounts of fouling that smokeless guns produce.  Try cleaning this:

http://home.earthlink.net/~tzvia/images/Rifles/flint2.jpg

after a day at the range when it is loaded with crap that looks like burn on motoroil.  Ballistrol works.  For the barrel, I have been using Gunslick cleaner and it works well.  And Shooters choice copper cleaner every other trip to the range.

Lois
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:33:19 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Quoted:

all the time. Excellent product. Soak it with CLP and swirl them around.
quote]

Swirl them around with what?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:33:50 PM EDT
[#45]
I went to Autozone and picked up CRC Brakleen Brake Parts Cleaner... will this work for my rifle... and will it cause me any problems?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:48:16 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

www.gandrtactical.com/cleaning_files/stars.htm

BTW, generally speaking, are these things somewhat reusable?  Or are they a one-use-only deal?  Thinking about getting some but I’m thinking that for the price it would be nice to get a couple uses out of them (I know, I'm cheap).  

I hope this isn't like asking if toilet paper is reusable.      
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:15:30 PM EDT
[#47]
SIMPLE GREEN IS CORROSIVE.  Particularly with aluminum.  It is an alkaline, IIRC.  Do a few searches, you will find the way.

Buy a gallon of MPRO-7 from Brownells and never look back.  This is the only thing I use.  No smell, biodegradable.  Tastes good with Vodka.

I stopped using brake cleaner.  I prefer to kill my liver and pancreas with bourbon, rather than bad chems.  If you use it, wear nitrile gloves, cover your skin, and use it in a well ventilated area.  Wear a face shield, it fricking burns when it hits your lips because of splash.  Brake cleaner works wonders on a polycarbonate face shield.  You do not want that shit absorbing through your skin or eyeballs.  The fumes will still kill you, but you will be 60 and won't remember what really got that cancer going....
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:44:36 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Chamber%20stars/Star%20on%20brush.JPG
www.gandrtactical.com/cleaning_files/stars.htm

BTW, generally speaking, are these things somewhat reusable?  Or are they a one-use-only deal?  Thinking about getting some but I’m thinking that for the price it would be nice to get a couple uses out of them (I know, I'm cheap).  

I hope this isn't like asking if toilet paper is reusable.      

that's what I use. They are pretty durable so yeah I guess you could reuse it if you can get enough crud off of it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:21:04 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Well, since you don't use your toothbrush ...

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:08:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top