Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2011 9:22:22 AM EDT
Hey all,

I'm looking into getting a DD Lite Rail for my mid-length upper but I need clarification on installing it. Can I install this rail without removing the FSB and pinned & welded brake? I'm thinking that if I remove the barrel from the upper receiver, I can install the rail by going in from the receiver end of the barrel because I have to remove the delta ring assembly to install the new assembly that comes with the rail. Is this possible? Thanks for the help!

Thanks,
-P
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:15:17 PM EDT
Originally Posted By pedorrero79:
Hey all,

I'm looking into getting a DD Lite Rail for my mid-length upper but I need clarification on installing it. Can I install this rail without removing the FSB and pinned & welded brake? I'm thinking that if I remove the barrel from the upper receiver, I can install the rail by going in from the receiver end of the barrel because I have to remove the delta ring assembly to install the new assembly that comes with the rail. Is this possible? Thanks for the help!

Thanks,
-P

No.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:25:33 PM EDT
That's what I thought...dammit. Thanks anyway!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:29:33 PM EDT
You will have to use a 2 piece free float or the Omega. Only other option is to remove the flash hider and FSB.
Dave N
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:03:11 PM EDT
Technically, it's also possible to install a FF by removing the barrel extension and going in from the back.

I do not recommend that route, as it's more involved, time consuming, expensive, and requires special and uncommon tools, but if you were dead set on it, a specialty gunsmith would in fact be able to do it that way.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:55:02 PM EDT
Originally Posted By shadowcop:
You will have to use a 2 piece free float or the Omega. Only other option is to remove the flash hider and FSB.
Dave N

Are there any 2 piece FF rails that provide a monolithic upper rail similar to the DD?

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 3:50:28 AM EDT
Dave N

Are there any 2 piece FF rails that provide a monolithic upper rail similar to the DD?

MI & Troy make similar looking rails that have the monolithic appearance. You cut off the delta ring to install.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:53:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/30/2011 4:54:53 AM EDT by johnfitz07]
Dave N

The DD Omega is a two piece FF rail that will provide a monolithic upper rail.
eta: it is the best of any of these type of rails.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:53:35 AM EDT
Originally Posted By johnfitz07:
Dave N

The Omega offers a continuous top rail but not the monolithic look like the two I mentioned.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:52:55 AM EDT
Originally Posted By johnfitz07:
Dave N

One final question: is the monolithic rail just an aesthetic part, or is it possible to mount a scope that "bridges the gap"? I know its not a good idea when there's a gap between the upper receiver and handguard rail, but is it a problem to do it with this configuration?

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:02:07 AM EDT
It is not the gap that causes the problem. It is the fact that the rail will flex & that could throw off your zero.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:20:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By warpig8654:
It is not the gap that causes the problem. It is the fact that the rail will flex & that could throw off your zero.

Agreed.

Mounting ANY optic that crosses the gap is a bad idea, unless the forearm is truly part of the receiver, or specially attached in a properietry design method which supports this purpose. Just because the forearm rail is flush with the upper receiver rail makes no difference.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:30:50 AM EDT
Alrighty then! Thanks for the help, guys!

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:12:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:39:33 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Stickman:
You might want to take a look at the Centurion Arms rails, it sounds like that would do what you are looking for nicely.

That looks like a similar rail design to the DD I referenced in the OP...i'll have to check that one out! Thanks!

Top Top