Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2003 10:33:46 AM EST
What happens to the stock on a civilian M-4?. I know it's pinned, so it doesn't telescope, but does it unscrew? And What is the advantage of the civilian M-4 over the other ARs, or is it just a matter of taste?
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 10:55:42 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 12:54:23 PM EST
colt's civilian version is designated MT6400C and comes with a pinned "replicant" telescoping stock that screws into the receiver. it features a light weight 16" chrome lined 1-in-7 twist barrel and the flat-top. i have the MT6400C and the MT6700 (the 20" flat top HBar AR-15). there a big difference in weight and thus manueverability at pointing the rifle. advantages of the MT6400C over the MT6700? the only thing i can think of is the easier handling/carrying/pointing the shorter rifle gives the shooter, other than that, the advantages rest more with the full size 20". HBar. so get both, like i did!
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 2:44:05 PM EST
If only I had your kind of money, Marcus!
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 3:55:38 PM EST
Seems like the Colt M4 is going for a premium - I was quoted $999 because it was one of 1000 made and therefore scarce? I was also told that the heat shield was different and the front sling attachment set up for a CQB sling - both items that would cost extra to put on a non Colt M-4. Is it worth it or aren't there other M4 takeoffs for civilian use like Bushmaster at a better price?
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 4:08:46 PM EST
Colts are only more valueable to people who like Colts. Whether its "worth it" depend on whether you value Colts. All the major brands make flat-top receivers and M4 profile barrels, some chrome lined some not, and you can interchange parts between the brands, but not with Colt.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:58:19 PM EST
Originally Posted By 88balanced: Seems like the Colt M4 is going for a premium - I was quoted $999 because it was one of 1000 made and therefore scarce? I was also told that the heat shield was different and the front sling attachment set up for a CQB sling - both items that would cost extra to put on a non Colt M-4. Is it worth it or aren't there other M4 takeoffs for civilian use like Bushmaster at a better price?
View Quote
The double heat shield hand guard and the side sling adaptor on the Colt should only cost about $75 extra to put on a Bushy or a Rock River, or any other M4 type AR. Some even say the double heat shield handguards cause too much heat to buildup underneath and is not worth it. Bushmaster makes handguards with the M4 dimensions, but the heatshields are positioned differently as to allow better cooling (supposedly). The extra cost of the Colt really isn't worth it unless you just love Colt or you collect them. Otherwise, skip it and get a Bushmaster or Rock River.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:25:38 AM EST
Is the butt on the civilian M-4 completely and totally interchangeable with the pre-ban stock? Besides screwing into the receiver, what other function does the stock have on an AR. I saw a telescoping stock for sale for the M-4 by it supposedly only fit pre-bans. I don't understand why that would be. Any advice?
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:46:56 AM EST
Originally Posted By SIGnature: Is the butt on the civilian M-4 completely and totally interchangeable with the pre-ban stock? Besides screwing into the receiver, what other function does the stock have on an AR. I saw a telescoping stock for sale for the M-4 by it supposedly only fit pre-bans. I don't understand why that would be. Any advice?
View Quote
Thats because its illegal to put a pre-ban stock on a post-ban gun.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:47:17 AM EST
It will fit both,Just legally,your not supposed to fit a telescoping stock to a post ban. I just put an Colt M4 upper kit on my lower and yes it is worth it. My buddy has a Bushmaster and it is very sweet but I like the Colt better. Mad
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:04:44 AM EST
So, bottom line -- if you shoot the M-4 use the post-ban. When you come home, you swap stocks for HD... and people can mind their own darn business about how you protect you and yours... What was that phrase... don't ask; don't tell? (Sorry, I couldn't resist.) :) SIGnature
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:10:50 AM EST
Do not put a adjustable stock on a post ban reciever anytime. It don't matter if its just at home; its still illegal and can get you in lots of trouble.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:18:56 AM EST
Thank you, Alpo. You've saved me money. Helped me make a buying decision and kept me on the right side of the law. Sometimes, it seems, in our rancor about over-regulation (I'm from Maryland where they've just instituted punishing new handgun laws), we wnat to wink and walk. Better to simply obey the law. In fact, at the risk of sounding overly moral, healing hard to the law is probably the best way to protect responsible gun owners from criminals and zealots. Heck, all I really ever wanted was an A3 shorty with a good sight for three-gun shoots!
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:34:56 AM EST
yes...its better to stay on the right side of the law. If you had an adjustable stock on a post-ban wheapon and had to use it for HD; you would be the one that goes to jail not to mention all your other guns possibably confiscated for having the illegal gun. I have a post-ban M4 that I built from scratch and used a RRA fixed tele-stock. Looks and shoots real good.
Top Top