Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2008 11:33:39 AM EDT
I had a Colt sporter conversion kit and used it a few times. Then, I had a discharge out of battery which blew the extractor out of the gun. After that incident, I had to remove some leading from the chamber before I was able to load and fire 5.56 again. I'm guessing that the two problems (OOB plus leading) were related. The .22 stinger involved suffered a case head failure.

I just picked up a Ciener. Any suggestions on a cleaning regimen to avoid this again? Maybe a few turns with a chamber brush every few hundred rounds?
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 11:49:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I've run my ceiner for over a few hundred rounds between cleanings...the most common issue I've faced is accumulation of carbon in the upper. Its never caused a FTF, but it does create one hell of a mess when you try and replace your normal carrier/bolt into the upper.
Essentially, its a clean right after using exercise...

The Ceiner kits I've come across are often "fuzzy" from just being new. I've had to use some fine 000 steel wool on a few kits to make them operarte more smoothly out of the box with generous amounts of CLP. Other than that, I've had very few issues...
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 11:52:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 11:52:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Due to leading & general dirtiness of shooting .22's in an AR, I usually brush the bore out after a couple hundred rounds. Then dump a few .223's thru it to flush out the gas tube.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 2:50:26 PM EDT
[#4]
So every 300-400 rounds would work?
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 5:01:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So every 300-400 rounds would work?

yup.
And if the AR serves as a home defense carbine, I would run at least a few rounds through it with the normal carrier/bolt after cleaning out the upper and the barrel. The purpose is to function check/flush out the gas tube.

Oh, and the first shot after running a few hundred rounds of .22lr through the AR, well its gonna look like a mini-blackpowder smoke pole going off as it blows out all the crud out of the gas tube...just an FYI.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 5:27:20 PM EDT
[#6]
clean it, clean it again and once more...shoot 30 rnds and it needs cleaning again lol but the fun just doesnt stop  
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 11:45:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I watched an ar15 armorers video conducted by robert dunlap. he addressed the ciener product in his video. he said after shooting 100 rounds of 22lr, change the bolt and shoot 3-4 rounds of .223.

he said that should keep it from fouling.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:24:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm afraid of what I'm gonna start by asking this, but.....

I've read this "fire some .223 to clean out the gas tube" for YEARS. Frankly, it does make sense. What I'd like to know is has anyone ACTUALLY plugged up their gas tube and or port from .22 lead fouling???
I can't recall ever seeing viable "proof", if you know what I mean.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 10:33:18 PM EDT
[#9]
It's certainly plausible so I'm going to do it anyway. I was more concerned with the frequency between bore/chamber cleanings. I think I'll do it every 300 rounds, Boresnake followed by some patches and a quick run with the chamber brush/power drill combo.

The rifle involved in the incident is my HD carbine, so reliability is a must. I'll definitely function check it at the range, after cleaning and before leaving. I have two more builds that will hopefully be done soon (waiting on lowers).

Link Posted: 9/7/2008 7:57:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm afraid of what I'm gonna start by asking this, but.....

I've read this "fire some .223 to clean out the gas tube" for YEARS. Frankly, it does make sense. What I'd like to know is has anyone ACTUALLY plugged up their gas tube and or port from .22 lead fouling???
I can't recall ever seeing viable "proof", if you know what I mean.

For me, the proof is watching all the fouling go "poof" of carbon/lead/gunk when I shoot a .223 after running the ceiner kit.
I would still shoot some .223 immediately after running a conversion kit to clear out the gastube even if I found evidence that proved that it would not bloke the gastube for normal DGI functionality.
Seriously, the fouling that is shot out is really "nasty" and is similar to a black powder firearm going off...
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 8:08:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm not saying I don't believe it could happen, BUT, at the same time, I don't ever recall hearing/seeing from someone who has had it happen.

Anyone wanna do an experiment?

I would, but my bbl. is only 5" with no gas port....( dedicated .22 pistol build...)
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 9:08:39 AM EDT
[#12]
i remember at least one post on here in the past year or so, the member had to remove his gas block to clean out the lead plugged gas port, IIRC though, he had upwards of 10k 22lr rds down the pipe without any .223 to blow the port clear
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top