Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/30/2003 4:48:05 PM EDT
Does anyone sell a mag that will work with the Ciener conversion for significantly less than the Ciener mag?

I recently got a Ciener conversion and I don't like the idea of paying $25 each for .22 mags.

Link Posted: 4/30/2003 5:04:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Then you'll hate getting 30rd mags for it, at $125-$175 each they're running now.
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 6:01:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Ciener magazines are proprietary to the conversion unit... thus, they can charge anything they want for their magazines as nothing else will work...
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 7:11:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Question? Is it legal to have a 30 round magazine 22 LR for the AR-15, if you are not a LEO or FFL dealer? I know they can be had, and many have them, but without the FFL license they are NOT legal, is my understanding. If you have one and do not have the license, or are not a Law Enforcement Officer, and get caught with them, you face a stiff fine and jail time. The dealer who sells it to you is in trouble as well. Am I wrong? I don't think it varies from state to state. I thought it was a federal law!
Mike
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 7:55:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Mags made before Sept. 1994 are legal for anyone.  (Unless restricted by state or local laws.)  Mags made after Sept. 1994 must be 10-rounds or less unless they're for Mil/LEO.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 7:27:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, Mike-L, which was my point...the current Ciener offerings are POST 1994. Unless the magazines are ones purchased used at a Gun Show, or from an individual, it is pretty hard to come by pre-1994's. Is there anything that distinguishes the Pre from the Post ban mags? and how would one "prove" the 30 rounder they were using to be, in fact, a pre-ban?
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 11:30:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yes, Mike-L, which was my point...the current Ciener offerings are POST 1994. Unless the magazines are ones purchased used at a Gun Show, or from an individual, it is pretty hard to come by pre-1994's. Is there anything that distinguishes the Pre from the Post ban mags? and how would one "prove" the 30 rounder they were using to be, in fact, a pre-ban?
View Quote

By law the manufacturer has to stamp the magazine "Restricted LEO/Gov't" on the mag body if it is a post ban manufactured hi cap. Thats how you know.

[beer]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 3:43:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Ciener laid up tens of thousands of magazines for his .22 conversions before the 94 ban, and was selling them up until late last year.

I bought 3 for $150 in about May of last year direct from Ciener.  Since Ciener stopped selling them (ran out or ATF disallowed the mods he was making to them for the different M16/Mini14/AK/etc .22 conversions he makes), they've jumped enormously in price.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 3:59:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Good luck.  They are now $175+ if you can find them.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 9:08:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info and clarification guys. It is appreciated.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:39:25 PM EDT
[#10]
so, If we found a bunch of these mags cheap.

made a block that would fit in the AR15

we could have 30 round mags
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top