Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2003 7:57:43 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/8/2003 7:58:54 AM EST by SMGLee]
I saw this on the new Army ad on the Feb, 2003 issue of the Moto Trend. This ad is on page 15 and it shows two Army spec op guy in the snow. Look at the guy on the left, his Aimpoint is mounted backwards .

Fuuny isn't it.

Link Posted: 1/8/2003 8:25:59 AM EST
I just hope that when the time comes for him to slip on a grenade launcher, he does not repeat his mistake. [BD]
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 8:37:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/8/2003 9:10:10 AM EST by Cincinnatus]
So that's why it's necessary to have "FRONT TOWARDS ENEMY" embossed on Claymore Mines. (Go Army! [:E])
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 8:40:03 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/8/2003 8:40:28 AM EST by mr_wilson]
I'm not at home at the moment and have never tried it, but for curiosity sake, [b]Is is possible that the red-dot is visible from either end of the ML/ML2?[/b] Never occured to me before...... Mike
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 8:42:57 AM EST
Nope, it's not that visible. Wouldn't do to have the enemy see the little dot to shoot at.... toast
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 8:46:37 AM EST
Have you thought about contacting them to let them know?
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 10:15:42 AM EST
He also looks like he is ready to shoot his toes off.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 10:17:49 AM EST
Hmm. Can anyone tell me why the pair of soldiers are on the "Army of One" poster? Maybe I haven't had enough beer. Lager, -sgt_seti
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 10:22:01 AM EST
Originally Posted By sgt_seti: Hmm. Can anyone tell me why the pair of soldiers are on the "Army of One" poster? Maybe I haven't had enough beer. Lager, -sgt_seti
View Quote
I've tried to figure this out too, on various commercials I've seen, and apparently, each person is a whole army... and there are multiple armies working together... just like how they use the word "troops".
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 10:37:48 AM EST
Army of one will get people killed. This is the worst Army ad I have seen, terrible concept trying to tell young people individualism is possible in a enviroment like the arm forces. As far as the pictures is concern, even a go fast boys are human, they make mistakes just like us civilians.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 10:59:26 AM EST
Something is not right with the Aimpoint on the right either. Can't figure it out, but it looks like there are two rings on the tube. Could it be a bad photoshop job?
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 11:07:22 AM EST
looks to me that they are both on backwards. The mount is usually on the end of the tube farther away from the shooter. Although this end ("objective" end) looks to be properly wider in appearance. Yea, something is goofy.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 12:01:55 PM EST
I think that its a bad photoshop job. Something just doesnt look right with the guy on the left. I am more amazed that they actually put a SF support guy in the pic.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 12:09:54 PM EST
Scan it directly from Feb issue of the Moto trend, check it out yourself on the news stand. Page 15.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 3:48:44 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/8/2003 3:50:51 PM EST by 88balanced]
If they want to recruit for Spec Forces, they should use the pic of the bodygaurd who blew away the attempted assasin for President Karzain (and the local who jumped on top of him after he shot into the car) in Afghanistan. That was a memorable picture! The picture shows the Spec Forces bodygaurd, with beard, turbin, no shirt, and I think it was an M4 on a sling with optics talking to someone in a car immediately after the attempt. I remember seeing specks of blood on him from the splatter. I understand that the pentagon upon seeing the photo immediately made those guys shave (they were trying to blend in to the local population) and subsequently replaced them with private bodygaurds. Anyway, I saw that picture in one of the weekly magazines while traveling and I have not been able to locate it. I've searched the internet, but all the news services copyright their pics and I can't seem to pull it up. I want to see what the Spec Forces was carrying. Anyone know which pic I'm talking about and can you scan it and post?
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 3:56:39 PM EST
I have mine mounted that way so I can see targets behind me....
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 4:10:10 PM EST
Originally Posted By sgt_seti: Hmm. Can anyone tell me why the pair of soldiers are on the "Army of One" poster?
View Quote
[b]BEING A SOLDIER MEANS SOMEBODY'S ALWAYS GOT YOUR BACK.[/b] But who has theirs? They're not covering each other at all. It does make for a good picture, though. You gotta admit. [;)]
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 4:31:32 PM EST
Has something changed since I got out? Do they allow E4's into SF? You had to be at least an E5 to go to SFAS in the early 90's. This might have changed, so I am not saying it is wrong.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 4:43:08 PM EST
Originally Posted By usma89: Has something changed since I got out? Do they allow E4's into SF? You had to be at least an E5 to go to SFAS in the early 90's. This might have changed, so I am not saying it is wrong.
View Quote
Like Stottman said, SF support guy i believe.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 4:46:15 PM EST
I was an Army photogapher, 84 Bravo, a number of years ago (more than I care to admit) and know that 99.9% of these type pix are taken by an outside ad agency with art directors, photographers, set designers, make up artists, etc who know absolutely nothing about the military. More than likely the soldiers pictured in these campaigns are not soldiers at all, but professional models. Truth is, a slick New York ad agency will do a better job at selling a product (such as Army enlistments) better than the Army can on it's own, but they often times miss the mark technically.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 5:04:06 PM EST
it is a good thing for the dude on the left to hide his face, what would his wife think if she knew he could not mount an aimpoint.....
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 5:12:38 PM EST
Originally Posted By 84bravo: I was an Army photogapher, 84 Bravo, a number of years ago (more than I care to admit) and know that 99.9% of these type pix are taken by an outside ad agency with art directors, photographers, set designers, make up artists, etc who know absolutely nothing about the military. More than likely the soldiers pictured in these campaigns are not soldiers at all, but professional models. Truth is, a slick New York ad agency will do a better job at selling a product (such as Army enlistments) better than the Army can on it's own, but they often times miss the mark technically.
View Quote
The armed forces don't use "models". Can you imagine the lack of trust that would result if they recruited people with actors and models. They use real soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 5:25:34 PM EST
Originally Posted By usma89: Has something changed since I got out? Do they allow E4's into SF? You had to be at least an E5 to go to SFAS in the early 90's. This might have changed, so I am not saying it is wrong.
View Quote
I can't say whether the guy in the pic is SF or not, but I do know that SF has been hurting for recruits lately. The Army has again started offering it as an enlistment option - 18X I believe is the contract MOS. Here is an interesting thread started on the subject: [url]http://www.socnetcentral.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19840&perpage=20&pagenumber=1[/url]
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 7:57:47 PM EST
I know for a fact that the USMC gets their "Models" for recruiting posters and the such from REAl Marines at 8th & I Marine BKS Wash. D.C. Semper Fi
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 9:12:47 PM EST
Those guys are not models; I actually knew one a guy who was in a commercial. On a different note; If you remember the first "Army of One" commercial with the guy running thru the desert with his rucksack. That guy was training to go to SF selection. Needless to say, he didnt make it. I was very bored at work and looked these guys up on the Army locater site. They check out. YEs, the SPC guy is a support guy. I guess they were the soldier and NCO of the quarter or year. Or knowing the SF mindset, 2 guys on extra duty. They have restarted the new SF baby program, but they are supposed to be E-5 before reaching a team. None have made it that far yet. Before, you had to be E-4P to go to selection. While it is possible to be an SF E-4, it would only be at the school. Soon after you graduate the Q course, you are E-5. You would be in language school during this time anyway. And those guys in Afgan were Navy.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 3:57:33 AM EST
Originally Posted By SJSAMPLE:
Originally Posted By 84bravo: I was an Army photogapher, 84 Bravo, a number of years ago (more than I care to admit) and know that 99.9% of these type pix are taken by an outside ad agency with art directors, photographers, set designers, make up artists, etc who know absolutely nothing about the military. More than likely the soldiers pictured in these campaigns are not soldiers at all, but professional models. Truth is, a slick New York ad agency will do a better job at selling a product (such as Army enlistments) better than the Army can on it's own, but they often times miss the mark technically.
View Quote
The armed forces don't use "models". Can you imagine the lack of trust that would result if they recruited people with actors and models. They use real soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines.
View Quote
The armed forces may not use professional models, but they do for a fact use outside ad agencies for these campaigns. Maybe the SF guy was poking fun at the whole deal by turning his sight around. The ad agency people would be none the wiser while the official Army REMF minders would be just as clueless on some technical issues. An "inside joke" perhaps. I find it hard to believe that a highly trained professional (as the SF guys surely are) would have his sight mounted backwards for a photo unless he did it on purpose as a joke or subtle protest.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 4:24:39 AM EST
Originally Posted By SMGLee:As far as the pictures is concern, even a go fast boys are human, they make mistakes just like us civilians.
View Quote
Chen, you're right , no blame for "normal" mistakes , but how can a common soldier ( not talking abt Speed boyz....) mount his sight backwards ? It's too way ridiculous ....... PP out
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 6:00:54 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/9/2003 6:02:08 AM EST by Boomholzer]
I doubt they are real soldiers, they are probably body models that a private contracted advertisemnt company uses. I think I seen the one guy on the right in a GAP commercial.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 6:09:35 AM EST
Originally Posted By Boomholzer: I doubt they are real soldiers, they are probably body models that a private contracted advertisemnt company uses. I think I seen the one guy on the right in a GAP commercial.
View Quote
OK, but who gave them the M4s with the backwards mounted M2 ,outfitted with the KAC can and so on.....? PP out
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:13:41 AM EST
Originally Posted By PincoPalla: OK, but who gave them the M4s with the backwards mounted M2 ,outfitted with the KAC can and so on.....? PP out
View Quote
The Stargate SG-1 set. [:D]
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 8:10:26 AM EST
View Quote
I had a friend who went through ITB this past summer at D 1/50 and he was telling me that a lot of these guys had to get 18x for airborne and some of them had no desire to be SF. He also stated that almost all of them were not even fit for 11 series let alone 18
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 10:35:24 AM EST
Why on earth is the Army bringing in new recruits to SF? That IMHO is stupid beyond belief. There are plenty of mature, dedicated soldiers throughout the Army, in all MOS', that have proven their abilities and are ready to step up to a new challenge. Why would you bring in an 18 year old recruit right out of high school into a high speed MOS that demands discipline, maturity, cultural sensitivity, and mental toughness. Unbelievable!
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 11:10:58 AM EST
Maybe they're AirSoft guns cuz the Hollywood crowd setting up the shoot was ascared of real guns?
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 11:51:36 AM EST
Most guys in SF are very unhappy with the new SF baby program. Those guys are real; They check out as soldiers, and their cold weather stuff is 10th Group issue. OR gloves, Raichle ski boots, etc. . When I was in the States this summer there was an Army of One commercial at the movies. The one where the SF guy is climbing the mountain in CO. Guy I was with (who is in 10th at Carson) knew him. This guys face is covered for security reasons. I guess the support guy doesnt matter. Why they gave these guys real name, I dont know. Its against USASOC (Army Special Ops command)policy. A SOF guy's real name was given when he was in Afgan. Some Muslims tried to get his family back in the States. The Aimpoint backwards is either a inside joke/protest or Photoshop error.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 2:32:18 PM EST
Originally Posted By ElmerFudd: Why on earth is the Army bringing in new recruits to SF? That IMHO is stupid beyond belief. There are plenty of mature, dedicated soldiers throughout the Army, in all MOS', that have proven their abilities and are ready to step up to a new challenge. Why would you bring in an 18 year old recruit right out of high school into a high speed MOS that demands discipline, maturity, cultural sensitivity, and mental toughness. Unbelievable!
View Quote
They used to let you enlist straight into it, then stopped it when the numbers were good. now SF is shrinking due to a lack of people meeting the standards at SFAS so they need a larger pool of people to draw prespective SF soldiers out of. The lack of maturity is there but if an E-5 cook goes SF and a 18 year old E-2 goes for it at the same time they both have pretty much the same general knowledge on SF tactics which is nothing. This is why the Q-course is so long so non combat MOS can be brought to the same level as Combat MOS soldiers who wind up in the SF ranks
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 10:42:33 PM EST
Originally Posted By Hoplite:
Originally Posted By ElmerFudd: Why on earth is the Army bringing in new recruits to SF? That IMHO is stupid beyond belief. There are plenty of mature, dedicated soldiers throughout the Army, in all MOS', that have proven their abilities and are ready to step up to a new challenge. Why would you bring in an 18 year old recruit right out of high school into a high speed MOS that demands discipline, maturity, cultural sensitivity, and mental toughness. Unbelievable!
View Quote
They used to let you enlist straight into it, then stopped it when the numbers were good. now SF is shrinking due to a lack of people meeting the standards at SFAS so they need a larger pool of people to draw prespective SF soldiers out of. The lack of maturity is there but if an E-5 cook goes SF and a 18 year old E-2 goes for it at the same time they both have pretty much the same general knowledge on SF tactics which is nothing. This is why the Q-course is so long so non combat MOS can be brought to the same level as Combat MOS soldiers who wind up in the SF ranks
View Quote
Hoplite, I'm sure SF skills are like the skills in any occupation - they are the easy part of the job, and can be learned fairly quickly. The hard part is getting the right man, with the right mental makeup and toughness for the job. There are people like this throughout the Army. I would also think trying to draw from an Army wide pool would really help in terms of getting people with language skills.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 5:36:18 AM EST
Originally Posted By ElmerFudd:
Originally Posted By Hoplite:
View Quote
View Quote
Hoplite, I'm sure SF skills are like the skills in any occupation - they are the easy part of the job, and can be learned fairly quickly. The hard part is getting the right man, with the right mental makeup and toughness for the job. There are people like this throughout the Army. I would also think trying to draw from an Army wide pool would really help in terms of getting people with language skills.
View Quote
They already draw from an ARMY wide pool. Any MOS (except maybe Aviation Officer) is eligible to try out for SF. As far as SF skills being the easy part, please tell me what is so easy about going up to a complete stranger, getting him on your side and being able to trust them to fight with you? Lots of variables thrown into that equation like your new "friend's" tactics, policies and other things. I definetly wouldnt call those skills easy to obtain.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 6:15:39 AM EST
Hoplite, SF might be open to any MOS, but I never recall hearing of any recruiting pitches made when I was in (88 to 91 as an Armor officer). Things might be different now, and they might be more aggressive with in-service recruiting. I would certainly hope they would go this route first.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 6:25:28 AM EST
Originally Posted By ElmerFudd: Hoplite, SF might be open to any MOS, but I never recall hearing of any recruiting pitches made when I was in (88 to 91 as an Armor officer). Things might be different now, and they might be more aggressive with in-service recruiting. I would certainly hope they would go this route first.
View Quote
It is either no one wants to do it or everyone is getting out after their first enlistment and calling it quits after they get their GI bill and other money (nothing wrong with that i guess)
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 11:58:41 AM EST
SF is very short of people. There are several reasons for this. Allot of the SF babies that came in in the early 80's are reaching retirement. A different breed seemed to replace them. Allot of guys have either gotten out of the Army, or just SF. SF is gone an awful lot. Some places upwards of 10 months a year. Thats fine if you are single, but what if you are married (if your wife stuck around that long)with kids? Not much of a life. All to do thankless missions in shitholes the US probably should keep its nose out of in the first place. This past year, even as a support guy I was not home for longer then 2 weeks at a time. Sometimes for only a weekend, then I would be gone again. My wife started to call me her weekend husband. Some people cant take it. They get out. I dont blame them.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 7:06:36 PM EST
Stottman - thanks for your service. My family and I appreciate it. We just had a little girl, and I cannot imagine not seeing her every day. God bless you.
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 3:33:54 PM EST
Two things. One, backwards Aimpoints. Maybe these add types had these poor guys outside for about 8 hours fucking with them. They got pissed and had their own little revenge. I can see that. Two, direct enlist to SF. Who gives a fuck? I think too many SF types focus of direct action instead of hearts and minds. SF is not suppossed to be out there killing people. They are there to train other killers. But a lot of Bat boys go SF and bring that warrior/killer mentality. You have SF teams spending more time learning how to kick doors down as oppossed to language and culture. In my little nugget world, I don't see where SF teams need to train room clearing other than just knowing how to do it. We have Delta Force and Rangers to do that direct action shit. So bringing in recruits and training them SF right from the start makes a lot of sense. SF training is physically tough. SFAS and Q course kicks your ass (I have been told). young dumb(relatively speaking) and full of cum. More to the point, young men able to recover from the training more easily. Finally, SF is sexy. You can bring in intelligent, talented recruits that you might not be able to attract otherwise.
Top Top