Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/18/2004 9:40:18 PM EDT
Someone recommended chrome plating the bolt components to improve reliability in the AR - any of you guys tried hard chrome, and if so, did you notice any benefit ?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:28:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it matters on the inside of the bolt carrier, not the outside. In fact, I read that chrome plating the outside is bad.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:22:11 AM EDT
[#2]
as I understand it hard chromed bolt/carriers are preferred because they are much easier to clean.

The surface will not absorb grime like non-chromed parts do.

It makes sense to me.

Les Baer, LMT,  and others have 'em
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:12:36 AM EDT
[#3]
The important part of your carrier is already chromed; the imside wall where the bolt rings ride, and the inside of the carrier key. Anything else is pure ego puffery.

Easier to clean? Give me a break. What they really mean is that you have to clean it because the residue on a chromed carrier shows up more and looks worse than on a parked bolt/carrier assy.

I've had a chrome carrier, that I picked up in a trade. Swapped it for a Colt standard parked piece.

I do still have one chromed piece; a very early Colt smoothside unit that lives in the early M16 clone I built up; but it's there for authenticity, not function.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top