Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 6/25/2003 1:41:57 PM EDT
Does a chrome lined barrel make that much diference? RRA does not have 20 inch Chromed lined barrels, can get them in their 16 inch barrels. Bushmaster's 20 inchers are Chromed lined. If used for plinking and at the range, maybe 3000 rounds max per year, would chrome lined make that much difference? Rifle would be cleaned after each shooting session.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 1:48:59 PM EDT
From what I understand or at least think I do the reason barrels are chromed lined is to make them easier to remove the carbon buildup, copper fouling developed during extended periods of full auto fire . BM's DCM barrels -per the catalog are not chrome lined which indicates to me better overall accuracy , because with full auto fire does overall accuracy count ?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 1:51:57 PM EDT
Thanks. BM told me that the particular one I am considering is chromed lined (20 inch barrel), RRA is not. You are suppose to get better accuracy from a NON chromed lined barrel. Just trying to find out if it will make that much difference for plinking and range shooting.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 2:18:37 PM EDT
Uncle Sam seems to think it is pretty important and has spent who knows how much money figuring out that there must be utility in chrome lining...
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 2:21:25 PM EDT
I went to the range this morning. With My chrome lined 16" BM barrel I was consistantly hitting a 10" steel plate at 525meters with q3131a. Is that accurate enough for what you intend to use your rifle for? If so, go with the chrome lined barrel. This particular barrel has about 6-7000 rounds through it. I can remember cleaning the copper out maybee three times.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 2:36:22 PM EDT
The military uses select fire and burst on their rifles.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 2:46:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/25/2003 2:47:19 PM EDT by Calvert1]
Chrome lining resists wear and corrosion better bare steel. For plinking and informal target shooting, I'd go with chrome just for the ease of cleaning. For dedicated target/match guns, I go stainless. For the type of shooting you mention in your first post, I don't think it really matters if you go chrome or not.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:30:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/25/2003 4:31:28 PM EDT by LGIL]
My experience has been that chrome lining degrades the accuracy of a barrel by not more than .5 MOA. For a general purpose rifle, I believe that the ease of cleaning and increased longevity that come with a chrome lined barrel are well worth the relatively small deficiency in accuracy. Additionally, if your rifle gets dirty, a chrome lined chamber can be a life-saver. -Gil
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:38:37 PM EDT
Originally Posted By inkaybee: I went to the range this morning. With My chrome lined 16" BM barrel I was consistantly hitting a 10" steel plate at 525meters with q3131a. Is that accurate enough for what you intend to use your rifle for? If so, go with the chrome lined barrel. This particular barrel has about 6-7000 rounds through it. I can remember cleaning the copper out maybee three times.
View Quote
Come on... a 10 inch target at more than 1,500 feet with a 16 inch barrel cosistantly?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:33:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/25/2003 7:35:39 PM EDT by inkaybee]
To be honest my rifle has a free flaoted forend, an accuracy speaks match triger an acog with the BDC and a Harris bi-pod and constistantly could mean more like 80%. I think i missed 6 times out of a 30 round mag. Come to think of it the first two or three misses were because I was trying to determine my range. I did not post this to be a show off but to let people know that chrome lined mill spec barrels are capable.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:31:45 AM EDT
So for a semi-auto only carbine that probably won't get exercized past the 300 yd line, stainless or chrome? Why did they go with a stainless barrel on the SPR if chrome is adequate? Just so they could say thay had a "match barrel?" Calvert1, looks like you're also a travelling man.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:40:47 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Artifex: So for a semi-auto only carbine that probably won't get exercized past the 300 yd line, stainless or chrome? Why did they go with a stainless barrel on the SPR if chrome is adequate? Just so they could say thay had a "match barrel?" Calvert1, looks like you're also a travelling man.
View Quote
The SPR barrels alot of the guys on this board are getting are not only stainless, but they also have tight chambers and short throats. All these features combined with match ammo will get you sub MOA accuracy. Personally 2 MOA from a chrome linned, 5.56 chambered barrel is better for a general purpose rifle. The loss in accuracy is worth the relaibility. Like I said above, I can still make hits at 500 meters. If you want a very precise sniper/ counter sniper grade rifle then by all means go stainless.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:30:53 AM EDT
Artifex- Yes sir...travelling East.
Top Top