Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2003 12:31:30 AM EDT
Okay, here's my situation, and my options.

I'm looking at ordering a new Bushmaster.  I want a gun with superb accuracy, but also something very durable and long term.  I don't mind barrel length as it will be used mostly for target (some fairly long range 400-500 meters) and varmint.

I like what I see in the Varminter from Bushmaster, but that DCM barrel makes me nervous, not only is it not as durable as a chrome lined barrel, it's cost is about twice as much?  I see the advantages, but that seemed backwards to my needs.

So what I'm wanting to do, is buy a Varminter custom made with a National Match 24" barrel, fluted barrel and matched bolt.  

So, here's me second guessing myself, is this still going to be decently accurate??  They were shooting 1/4 in. groups with that varminter according to that article on gunblast.com.  Will this rifle be capable of that??  Is the 24" in barrel worth is, or is a 20" the just as good?  And also, is this chrome barrel a good idea, or am I losing enough accuracy i should go with the DCM comp barrel??

I know this is a much debated topic with chrome, but what does everyone think?

Gundraw

Link Posted: 6/28/2003 4:24:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Chrome lining is not the issue, but for some reason folks think it is.  

It is not true that a chrome bore is always less accurate than an unlined bore.  It is true that a genuine match or benchrest barrel -- one that starts off with superb accuracy -- will lose accuracy if plated, but that doesn't give all unplated bores any accuracy.  There are lots of poorly made, unlined barrels out there which will be outshot by good chrome bores.

Forget the terms "Match" and "National Match" when you're looking at rifle barrels, these are typically bogus terms used in advertising.

What kind of accuracy to you want or need?

If you can shoot a mere 1MOA with iron sights you can win the National Matches at Camp Perry this summer with a perfect score and all X-Rings.  That's all it takes.  From the large number of folks who claim to shoot sub-1MOA all the time I suspect to see records broken this summer.  The Bushmaster DCM barrel/upper will do this if you do our part.

1MOA shooting, however, won't win a benchrest contest, however, nor will it hit prarie dogs at 500 meters.

Sounds to me like you need a specialized rifle and barrel, not a stock chrome bore barrel.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 9:44:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Chuck,

I ultimately would want something I could realiably hit, sub moa groups with.  Maybe 3/4 in.  I don't need anything extremely accurate, but I would enjoy something that was precise and consistant.  Most of the prarie dog shooting I do is well within 200 yds, but I would like to do a little shooting in the 300-400 yd range.  At the same token, the durability of the chrome lined barrel is nice, while I'll probably shoot a large number of rounds through when it's all said and done.

I guess that's where I'm stuck.  It just seems stupid for me to pay a substantial amount more for a less durable barrel but one that was so accurate it would probably be more accurate than i could shoot.  

So to answer you question, what kind of accuracy would I want or need.  Although it's hard to just pin that down to he tabe, i'd say if the gun was capable of sub moa groups I would be satisfied.  If with the chrome lining, even more satisfied.
Gundraw

Link Posted: 6/28/2003 3:19:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 3:18:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I see what you mean, I guess I just have two concerns with that barrel.

First, the cost of this barrel is significantly higher than the chrome lined one, that is a tad difficult to justify if only a small gain is had, but then again, thats why I posted this thread... to see if there was a large difference, evidentally, it is substantial.

Second, I'm planning on shooting lots of fmj (xm193, some wolf, ect) ammo for plinking, and then some coated varmint bullets for my long range shooting and varmint hunting.  So, will a barrel with a softer lining hold up to this? Or will this full metal jacket be a pain to work through.

Also the gun will probably encounter some unlikable conditions (for guns anyway) on camping trips hunting trips ect, is this barrel prone for rust or any other type of problem??

I guess I'm asking, is this barrel going to be something I have to baby to keep in working order.  I clean my guns regularly with a coated rod, hoppes and CLP.  Will a bore guide be a necessity because of the softer lining?? Will i have to make changes to the way I clean and operate the gun so I do not damage it?

Thank you Troy and Chuck, I appreciate your help and would like your input on these questions as well.

Gundraw
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 10:09:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I've decided to go chrome after getting down and reviewing what I'm mostly going to be using this rifle for. But now I'm down to the question, 20" or 24" barrel???

WHat kind of difference in accuracy can I expect.  Does the extra 4" cause any problems??  Is a barrel this long cumbersom on a ar??  I'm always thinking, hey, get the 24" inch for now, and if I want a quick sling tactical rifle.  Later down the road get something a little more "toting friendly"  

Naturally, I will need to go with 20" or 24" to get the kind of accuracy I would like.  So after 20" anyway, the 4" extra probably would be that big of difference in terms of practicality and comfort??  Does this coincide with other's beliefs??

Gundraw
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 12:57:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Probably all you will gain is a little bit of velocity in going with the 24" bbl. Accuracy is more dependant on bbl quality when comparing 20 to 24".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top