Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/18/2004 7:02:35 PM EST
From my understanding, nad that is not a lot, the chromelined adds protection against the enviornment. the non-cl is better for accuarcy. Is that so?

If I were to go with a non-cl, would there be reliability issues like the original M16's in Viet Nam? Or was that a powder deal?

Reason I ask is because I can have a 14.5 with a Phantom hider perm. attached for free from my father. It is a new Wilson 1-9 marked brl. and I hate to turn down someting like this unless it is a lot of problems waiting to happen.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:13:53 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2004 7:15:31 PM EST by TENN]
Chrome lined barrels are always better than chromemoly steel barrels. As far as accuracy goes, it ain't a 1,000 meter rifle. Unless you do serious compitetion then you won't notice the difference. Chrome lined barrels will last longer and take more abuse. However a free barrel in any configuration reigns supreme! If you don't want your dad's barrel I'm sure someone here will take it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:55:06 PM EST
I'd keep the free barrel and build an AR on it. But get a chrome lined one too and a second AR.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:04:21 PM EST
get a CHROME lined chamber and bbl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!­!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!­!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!­!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!­!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!­!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!>>>>>>>>>>>>>..........

<­BR>

OK????
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:10:00 PM EST
Go chrome or go home!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:18:34 PM EST
I'd take it!

Seriously. Chrome lined is the preferred. However, with proper cleaning, you'll probably never know the difference. Chrome lined will indeed hold up longer, but realisticlly how many rounds do you expect to go down this bbl? If it wears out....replace it. It's just that simple. There is no reason to turn down a good bbl.

I prefer the tighter 1/7 twist in my 14.5 w/Vortex. You obviously need the 1/7 for the heavier rounds which is why I bought it. Realisticlly...I have only had 3000 rounds down the bbl. All m193 (55 gr).

Yes there were origional M16 problems. Some were the powder. Some were the non chrome bbl. BOTH problems were the result of high humidity and extream conditions. You won't have either in OK.

So again: Take it and don't think a second thought about it. In my opinion, you are splitting hairs. You'll be happy with it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:20:48 PM EST

Originally Posted By Sumoj275:
From my understanding, nad that is not a lot, the chromelined adds protection against the enviornment. the non-cl is better for accuarcy. Is that so?

If I were to go with a non-cl, would there be reliability issues like the original M16's in Viet Nam? Or was that a powder deal?

Reason I ask is because I can have a 14.5 with a Phantom hider perm. attached for free from my father. It is a new Wilson 1-9 marked brl. and I hate to turn down someting like this unless it is a lot of problems waiting to happen.

Thanks

If you clean your rifle after you shoot it, and keep it put away in a nice dry place you will be fine, Im sure that you do not run around in the mud and crud and neglect your stuff so that should not be a issue....

I like Chrome, but for a carbine length bbl like you are talking about I would take it, Thank dad for saveing me a couple hundred bucks and enjoy it...

If you keep it cleaned and lightly oiled you will NEVER notice the diff.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:30:46 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/19/2004 12:35:15 AM EST by SNSIndustries]
Reliablity or accuracy.. which do you want more of... ?? It's been my expereince that thechrome-lined barrels that have a nato chamber cut are more reliable with more different types of ammo than a non-lined .223 match chmabered barrel like the wilsons.

I look at it like this... a match chamber non-lined barrel for target/match, & compettition shooting where you get to choose your ammo, and a nato chambered chrome-line barrel for a combat/defensive rifle. In a SHTF scenerio.. you may not get to choose what ammo is available to use in your rifle, better to have one that will shoot 99.99999% of what is available here in the USA.... including the wolf henot to say a chrome-lined barrel is inaccurate, I've seen some chrome give 1 moa or better on ocassion.

~D~

SNS Industries, Inc
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:46:11 AM EST
Top Top