Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/10/2003 4:55:42 PM EDT
I have Bushy M4 with a chrome-lined barrel, and I also have a kit from J&T built on an Oly lower, 20" model. I love the kit gun but there's always been that one thing that stood out about it and that is that it has no chrome-lined barrel. How much difference can it make? I don't bump-fire it at all. I know the chrome-lined barrel is supposed to last twice as long, but I also talked to a very competent gunsmith local to me and he insists that if I live to be 100 years old that the barrel will not wear out. How much truth is there to this? I love my J&T kit, but this is the one thing that I wish they offered. I sometimes think about getting the barrel swapped out just for this very reason. Thanks 4 info...
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 5:34:04 PM EDT
[#1]
From a purely personal stand point, I'm willing to shoot about any dirty, cruddy out-of-spec mil-surp that comes down the pike in my AR's with chrome lined barrels but am more choosy with the two that have chrome moly.  Yes, the chrome lined will last longer but I haven't worn out a barrel of any type as yet !!
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 6:01:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Womb;

They are two entirely different things. In the so-called "Chrome lined" barrel there is a layer of chromium inside the entire barrel cavity, both the chamber and bore are coated. Chromium is very hard and resists wear, abrasion and erosion.

Chrome-Moly refers to the composition of the barrel steel itself. The alloy includes (relatively) small amounts of both Chromium and Molybdenum disolved in the molten Iron when the steel is made in the mill.

Hope this helps. Cheers!
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 6:02:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Funny I have the same two rifles and the same concerns.

Your buddy is right and the non-chrome barrel should last a couple lifetimes if you don't shoot it alot.

Hang around some of these gun heads on this site and it may not last a weekend. I went through a quite a number of rounds at Bulletfest.

Tj
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 6:59:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Womb;

They are two entirely different things. In the so-called "Chrome lined" barrel there is a layer of chromium inside the entire barrel cavity, both the chamber and bore are coated. Chromium is very hard and resists wear, abrasion and erosion.

Chrome-Moly refers to the composition of the barrel steel itself. The alloy includes (relatively) small amounts of both Chromium and Molybdenum disolved in the molten Iron when the steel is made in the mill.

Hope this helps. Cheers!
View Quote

I follow you so far. I believe in the Bushmaster catalog it states that their barrels are chrome-moly also with a chromium lining throughout the bore and chamber. The J&T kit barrels seem to be made of exactly the same thing with the exception of the chrome-lining. I don't really rapid-fire alot, I'm just one of those people who don't like to half-ass on anything.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 9:57:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Bottom line is the chrome moley barrels are just cheaper.  That's why you see that barrel used often in low end AR's.  Low end is a relative term of course as I believe Knight's uses the chrome moly in their SR-15 M4 at about $1400 while ArmaLite uses the chrome moly in their AR-180B at $650 and J&T uses chrome moly in their kit.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 12:19:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Denny Hansen from SWAT magazine has an Oly AR that went 80,000 rounds on an unlined upper. Barrel was fine but the chamber had begun to erode.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 4:01:38 AM EDT
[#7]

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/announcement.html?b=3&f=118&id=172[/url]
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 4:12:03 PM EDT
[#8]
The really damaging thing to any barrel, chrome-lined or not, is heat.  Dumping mag after mag and heating the barrel up will damage the barrel.  Rapidly dumping one mag will not hurt it.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top