Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2008 12:09:00 PM EDT
Hello everyone,
I am in the process of building an M-4 clone using a Spike's lower and maybe a Del-Ton or Model-1 M-4 kit. My question is : in an effort to build this as efficient and cost conscience as possible, while maintaining reasonable quality, is there any real need for a chrome lined bore ? I didn't know how to set up a poll for this question, but the majority will decide how I build this.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:16:38 PM EDT
[#1]
A necessity-probably not, but I went CL on my Model 1 car.
I figured accuracy loss would not be substantial and it would
give me a few thousand rounds extra barrel life.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:19:17 PM EDT
[#2]
they are for me.

several reasons for that, not the least of which is because i  don't clean my guns much.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:25:45 PM EDT
[#3]
They go on all my builds so far. Only exception will be the precision rig which will go stainless.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:24:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Considering that it can get humid in Alabama, I would have the chrome.  My E.R. Shaw barrel that I got from Model 1 has the chrome lining and the accuracy is still very good.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:29:23 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 for Chromed.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:12:00 PM EDT
[#7]
+2  for Chromed.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:18:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:31:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I only build up chrome lined rifles now.  The only non-chrome lined I have is my first ar, an Eagle Arms CAR-15.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:00:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's a thread I posted regarding this topic.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=383803
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:07:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Hello everyone,
 in an effort to build this as efficient and cost conscience as possible, while maintaining reasonable quality, is there any real need for a chrome lined bore ?

Chrome lined is definitely preferable, but if cost is crucial, it is one of those things that may be dropped.  Many millions of rifles around the globe have given their owners perfect satisfaction without a chrome plated bore.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:29:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Another option is stainless steel (from a good barrel maker).  This makes the chrome lining pretty much irrelevant, and SS barrels will be more accurate.  The only snag might be that a quality SS barrel is a bit pricey.  Depending on what you will use the rifle for, that extra bit of accuracy may or may nor be useful.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:12:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Chrome is nice, but in civilian life it really isn't necessary. Are you going to be in the swamps of Alabama shooting corrosive ammo for weeks on end, without cleanings? If not, then chrome isn't absolutely necessary. Its nice, but most don't "need" it.

Do you know how many military weapons don't use chrome lined barrels? And they aren't just AK's and SKS's from Yugoslavia.

In many cases, chrome lining is only around 30.00-50.00 more. That's really not alot of extra money. While you may not "need" it, I don't hear many M4gery owners saying "Damn, I wish I didn't get a chrome lined barrel". Its usually the other way around.

Only you can decide need, however for an average civilian rifle chrome is far from necessary. If you shoot non-corrosive ammo*or take precations after shooting corrosive ammo* and take reasonably good care of your gun, you don't need chrome.
Its nice to have certainly, but its far from mandatory for a civvie gun.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:13:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I agree that chrome lining isn't really necssary on a civilian weapon as long as you're not shooting corrosive ammo or are a slob that would be better armed with either an AK or perhaps a rock that doesn't require much maintence either.  That being said though, every one of my ARs have a chrome lined barrel.  It's always for me that "just in case" factor that drives my decision to stick with chrome barrels.  However, if you are looking at cutting costs, that is something you may want to consider cutting out but to honest with you, I'd ditch the "tacti-cool" crap first before I started cutting corners on the main working parts of the weapon itself.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:47:16 AM EDT
[#15]
for an M4 type rifle chrome lined is the way to go,do it right the first time . it prolongs barrel life ,makes it easy to clean and if your chamber is chrome lined extraction is improved with any type of ammo .
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:46:29 AM EDT
[#16]
YMMV
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:57:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:37:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, I have always wanted chrome.  Saying that, the middy that I picked up on the cheap had  a non-chrome lined brl.  I will shoot it until that brl needs replaced or I run across a good deal and then change it out with a chrome lined one.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:15:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for all the replies. Didn't think I would go so many so quick. Looks like chrome lined it is. As it was said, it is only $30 - $50 more. Thanks for the help, I'll keep you informed when I am done with the build. Spike's Tactical - I like this receiver and am picking up a Noveske and Mega for future builds. Damn this BRD is tough on a fella' .
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:26:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think that a general purpose gun should have chrome lining.

Yup - as Troy would say "Go Chrome or Go Home"/

I remember him saying that when I was shopping for my first AR in 2003.  Never forgot it, still live by it.  

- BG
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:26:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes. Chrome lined barrels, well, price out what a new barrel would cost. Paying the extra $50 or so is like buying an extra barrel, at least. A chromed lined barrel should last at least twice as long as a nonchromed barrel, for an exra few dollars.

Not to say that a nonchromed barrel will not last, but a chromed lined will more than make up for the extra $50.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:34:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I got a not Chrome Lined AR-15 for $400 and shoots real well.  I have 3 others that are Chrome lined that shoot well but not as tight as the non Chromed lined one.  I is also a Custom upper so I have no idea who makes the Barrel I think RRA since there are no markings.

My M4gery (727) will have chrome lined unless I find a non chromed lined one for the cheap and I mean cheap.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:18:51 PM EDT
[#23]
hey, if my chrome-lined barrel holds sub MOA groups with WOLF ammo... i can't see a reason to shoot stainless...
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:22:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Chrome for the win.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top