Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/20/2004 10:12:36 PM EST
According to the Bushmaster web site, you should keep cleaning to a minimum for the first "couple hundred rounds", stating that shooting the gun will polish/burnish the bore. Does this sound right ?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:14:12 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/20/2004 10:16:32 PM EST by bvmjethead]
I'd tend to agree with the weapons manufacturer.

IIRC, I put like 500 rounds through my Bushy HBAR before cleaning it the first time.

I did run a patch with some CLP on it through the bore before shooting the gun though. Not a real "cleaning" just to dust out the bore, and make sure there were no metal shavings in there.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:15:59 PM EST
IF it is chromed lined just take it out and shoot it, many times
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:19:12 PM EST
Holy shit, you're supposed to clean a chrome bore!?!?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:27:34 PM EST
I've got about 800 rounds through my Bushy pencil and I've only swabbed the barrel once.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:42:45 AM EST
I did run a patch with some CLP on it through the bore before shooting the gun though. Not a real "cleaning" just to dust out the bore, and make sure there were no metal shavings in there.

ALWAYS a good practice on a new firearm. Follow that oily patch with a dry patch, you don't want excessive oil.

My breakin of new barrel. Load a 30 rnd mag. Shoot all 30 rnds as function test. Drop empty, reload with another 30 rnds. Shoot all 30 rnds. Now it's broken in.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:34:15 PM EST
Thanks, guys! I have two AR's with chorme-lining and just shot the snot out of them when I first got them. I've got a couple more on the way and just didn't know if I should treat tham a little gentler as pups. But I see your points, I shot a one hole group off the bench last week with one of my 5 year olds, so I guess it didn't harm the bores one bit...
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:35:57 PM EST
Chrome lined barrel break in:
Load up 3 Beta Mags
Bump fire each Beta Mag in succession as fast as possible.
Quench barrel in a bucket of ice water.
Repeat as necessary....

I'M KIDDING OF COURSE!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 12:14:35 AM EST
Scott: do you have three betas I can borrow? I like your method the best so far...
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:08:28 AM EST
Would cleaning between trips to the range (say... 100 rds per trip) cause problems with the break in? or just delay it a little....

I guess I'm asking... you wouldn actually "hurt" the barrel with a light cleaning during break-in?
(I'm not talking about a brush-scrubbing here either... just some hoppes #9 patches, dry patches, followed by fp-10 and a dry patch.)

I've got about 350 rounds through my RRA chrome-lined midlength, and I've cleaned it probably... 2 or 3 times.

I notice that at first, I was getting 2 groups at 100 yds... one dead center, one about 3-inches away at 11:00, both very tight.

When I shot yesterday, I got the same thing, only the 11:00 group was only about an inch away.

On seeing the double-grouping, another shooter on the range suggested it might be a "break-in" thing. Perhaps he was referring to a different component - not necessarily the barrel. (the shooter?)

Top Top