Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2004 6:16:32 AM EDT
I know this has been gone over many times but it's bothering me.My primary M-4 shtf AR has a RRA non chrome upper.I can't afford another upper rite now.Should i make it a 110% point to replace it when i can for a lined barrel?Do many of you have non lined AR's for your shtf gun?Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:42:27 AM EDT
My SHTF gun will always have chrome lining.  If money is the only thing keeping you from getting chrome, I would recommend picking up just a chrome-lined barrel from the EE or a manufacturer and getting it installed locally.  I'm sure there are Arfcomers in your area that would be glad to help you do an install.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:50:08 AM EDT
IMHO, for the minimal $20-$50 extra cost, there is no reason not to get a chromelined barrel. If this is your SHTF gun do not skimp on the chrome lining!
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:51:58 AM EDT
Happy New Year gents! Both of my SHTF guns are chromed. I do however have a DPMS that is not. I'll probably replace that when I wear that barrel out. BobK
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:03:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2004 12:03:51 PM EDT by _DR]
Unless your SHTF scenario is one where you wont be able to clean/lubricate the barrel, I wouldn't consider it urgent to install a chrome lined barrel. It's always a nice option, but mainly just increases barrel life and makes maintenance interval longer. I would think you would be able to keep a non chromed SHTF weapon operational by running a couple of CLP soaked patches down the barrel every week or so. I keep a GI cleaning kit w/ small bottle of CLP in the buttstock of my non-chrome lined SHTF rifle for that reason.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 10:52:10 AM EDT
Originally Posted By _DR:

Unless your SHTF scenario is one where you wont be able to clean/lubricate the barrel, I wouldn't couldsider it urgent to install a chrom line barrel. It's always a nice option, but mainly just increases barrel life and makes maintenance interval longer. I would think you would be able to keep a non chromed SHTF weapon operational by running a couple of CLP soaked patches down the barrel every week or so. I keep a GI cleaning kit w/ small bottle of CLP in the buttstock of my non-chrome lined SHTF rifle for that reason.
View Quote

Totally agree.  OK, it would have been nice to have gotten a chromed barrel to begin with, but I sure as hell wouldn't throw away a perfectly good unlined barrel.  After all, what are the odds that you'll ever have to "go to the mountains"[:D]

At least you didn't get shafted like me. I ordered and paid for a lined M4gery barrel, and din't check it out before I mounted, installed and shot it. Cleaning it afterwards was when I realized the supplier (who shall remain nameless) had sent an unlined barrel.  I understand this happened to several others on the site as well.

Needless to say, I don't buy parts out of New England any more[;D]

Link Posted: 1/1/2004 12:04:56 PM EDT

Why nameless? You are just reporting the facts, not dissing them.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 12:06:42 PM EDT

View Quote

That can get a little touchy if the supplier is associated with this site.  [;)]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 12:22:54 PM EDT
I ordered a Stainless Steel DPMS bull barrel upper from Brownells.... Is it chrome lined?
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 12:29:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Maverick656:
I ordered a Stainless Steel DPMS bull barrel upper from Brownells.... Is it chrome lined?
View Quote

A stainless barrel will not be chrome-lined.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 2:09:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2004 2:15:21 PM EDT by _DR]
Originally Posted By Bradd_D:

View Quote

That can get a little touchy if the supplier is associated with this site.  [;)]
View Quote

Wait a minute...so you are implying that AR15 supports fraud (that's what shipping a steel barrel when a chrome lined barrel was paid for is) as long as the vendor is a sponsor...somehow I find that hard to believe. They should at least be held responsible for refunding the difference in price, especially because of the fact that they are a sponsor and trhe purchaser was a board member.  There must be a minimum level of integrity associated with sponsors, despite the fact that they make this board possible.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 2:09:30 PM EDT
Hey SHAMAYIM TELL US WHO THE BASTARD IN NEW ENGLAND IS SO NO ONE ELSE GETS SCREWED.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 3:10:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2004 3:11:40 PM EDT by shamayim]
Originally Posted By BUSTER51:
Hey SHAMAYIM TELL US WHO THE BASTARD IN NEW ENGLAND IS SO NO ONE ELSE GETS SCREWED.
View Quote

Since I've never been sure if it was the supplier or Rock River who sent out barrels that were supposed to be lined and weren't, I've never made an issue of it.  Ultimately, I've got to kick myself in the butt for not checking it out before I mounted a permanent muzzle brake, put it into an upper and went to the range.

I'd have chalked it up as a simple error, if there hadn't been several posts about the same time, commenting on getting unlined M4 barrels after ordering lined.

I do find it interesting to read recently that Rock River now marks their chromed M4 type barrels. Hmmmm.

Now if Rock River and New England don'T ring bells w/you, I really don't know what else to say[:D]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 3:11:24 PM EDT
Originally Posted By shamayim:
Originally Posted By BUSTER51:
View Quote

Since I've never been sure if it was the supplier or Rock River who sent out barrels that were supposed to be lined and weren't, I've never made an issue of it.  Ultimately, I've got to kick myself in the butt for not checking it out before I mounted a permanent muzzle brake, put it into an upper and went to the range.

I'd have chalked it up as a simple error, if there hadn't been several posts about the same time, commenting on getting unlined M4 barrels after ordering lined.

I do find it interesting to read recently that Rock River now marks their chromed M4 type barrels. Hmmmm.

Now if Rock River and New England don'T ring bells w/you, I really don't know what else to say[:D}
View Quote

Did you call them and see if they would make it right?
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 5:03:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2004 5:03:43 PM EDT by 2minkey]
i don't think anybody would take back a fired barrel... but has anybody approached him (the dealer - and we all know who he is)? he sells a lot of RRA. maybe he could talk to RRA and work something out if in fact a batch that was supposed to be lined wasn't. he's definately not a "i don't give a shit" type of guy as far as i've observed. was very helpful with me.  he's a busy guy, prolly trusted he got what he'd ordered when putting uppers together... or sold factory assembled uppers.
Top Top