Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2003 5:55:06 PM EDT
Time to show my ignorance.  I have built a lower and I was planning to buy an upper.  From what I'm reading, a chrome-lined barrel is the way to go.  So when I started seeing barrels described as "chrome-moly" I thought that was the same thing.  Then I found a page selling uppers that specifically described their uppers as "Chrome-Moly NOT Chrome-Lined."  

So, before I spend my money what's the difference?  And should I be particularly worried about it?
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 6:04:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Never mind.  I just answered my own question.

http://groups.msn.com/ThePennsylvaniaAR15ShootersSite/barrelfaq.msnw
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 2:48:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey Brian,   I have a colt.  Do you know is mine chrome lined?  The barrel reads "c mp 5.56 nato 1/7.  I know what the rest of the stuff is but I'm trying to find out if my barrel is chromed in my manual and I'll be darned if I can't tell.  It's a "sporter target model"  basically government style.

Link Posted: 10/12/2003 4:37:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I have no idea.  I suspect Colt could tell you, but I couldn't.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 6:56:23 PM EDT
[#4]
All of Colt's military profile/twist barrels are chrome lined, as are there pre-ban barrels.  They only started using non-chromed barrels in the past few years on thier 1/9 twist barrels.  Even then, they care chroming the chamber which helps reliability, just not the bore which would make cleaning a little easier and increase barrel life.

It is safe to assume that anything that says begins with "C MP" and ends in "1/7" is fully chrome lined.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 4:17:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks hoplophile.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top