Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2003 9:38:37 AM EDT
My question is simple chrome lined vs. match grade? I do know chrome lined is stronger/durable and matchgrade Is not quite as strong but more accurate.

So If I get a matchgrade barrel should I have any concerns, I keep my guns really clean so I'm not worried about it fouling or rusting. I've just always heard you can burn a matchgrade barrel out really fast. Is this true, or how many shots should I expect?

Thanks Jerad
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 9:43:43 AM EDT
[#1]
What do you want this rifle for? Plinking, tack-driving, varmint hunting, it always helps to know what your intended use will be.....

As to burning up a match barrel, depending on how HOT the loads are, guess ya can shoot the throat out a rifle pretty quick using RED-LINE loads, but then a quick re-chambering makes her good as new....., and ready to go again, sans a few inches of barrel length.

Need more info Jerad. [;)]
Mike
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 9:55:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll be using it for plinkin, Varmit hunting ( no more than 100 yards), and Hogs. I won't be shooting hand loads through this gun, but I may dump a 30 rounder here and there.

Thanks
Jerad
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 10:00:14 AM EDT
[#3]
"Go chrome or go home", as Mr. Troy would say. [:)]

Mike
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 10:44:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I have recently purchased a Bushmaster XM15 E2S in the A2 Version.  It is easier to clean, (the Barrel) than my Remington 7 Mag, or my Glock 23.  I'm a believer in chrome.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 10:49:08 AM EDT
[#5]
The ONLY advantage to a match grade barrel is it is more accurate.  If you need to shoot sub-MOA get the match grade.

If this rifle won't be used in competition, or for shooting one small hole from a bench rest, get the chrome lined.

Link Posted: 12/18/2003 10:56:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Also note MANY manufactures try to sell their barrels indidicating they are 'match' barrels.

Horse Hockey.

There are few true "Match" barrels out there and they are more expensive than the $220 barrels put on most AR-15s or the ones you get from the parts dealers (Model 1 for example).

If you're building a Match Rifle (for competiton) or a long range varmint rifle - then skip the Douglas and Kreiger barrels and stick with chrome lined.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:08:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess the reason I don't know what to do is that this rifle won't EVER shoot past 100 yards. I have other rifles for that, This is going to be my fun shootin rifle, I'm gonna camo it and just enjoy shooting the HE!L out of it.

So is the difference between chrome lined and matchgrade (or I guess Non-chromed) just accuracy and ease of clean, Will they both hold up to as many shots and Mag dumps?

Thanks Jerad
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 9:43:32 PM EDT
[#8]
My chrome lined cleans up easier, but I have never had any problems ( like rust ) with a non chrome lined barrel. Even after waiting long periods of time before cleaning after shooting.

SHTF = Chrome lined
Anything else = Whatever
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 12:22:11 AM EDT
[#9]
For the requirments and mission you described, there is only one choice for you: Chrome, no question about it
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 12:39:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Ok thanks guys looks like I know what I need now. Thanks Jerad
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top