Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 12/28/2014 7:06:19 PM EST
Hi all,

Recently got the itch for a black rifle and I'm in the midst of trying to put one together. I've already ordered a PSA complete lower: http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/2416/category/4282/ The question is which complete upper to order to go along with it? The primary use for this weapon will be home defense and range fun. I have no other real requirements aside from high quality parts which I know PSA tends to be known for. Any help pairing an upper with my lower would be much appreciated! I'm open to other manufacturers too, I have no brand loyalty. I just have seen PSA thrown around constantly on this forum and figured I'd at least start there.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 7:44:13 PM EST
Pencil Upper
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/barreled-upper-assemblies/psa-16-chf-pencil-ssk-12-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

BCG / CH
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/palmetto-state-armory-5-56-bolt-carrier-group-with-7075-charging-handle.html
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 8:12:05 PM EST
Since I'm new to the AR15 platform, what is the thought process behind the pencil barrel profile? Is it primarily weight reduction? How are things such as accuracy and potential overheating effected?
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 8:25:06 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/28/2014 8:34:49 PM EST by NVCapCop]
The pencil barrel is the same barrel profile as the original M16. The lightweight barrel does heat up faster but it also cools faster.
The best thing about LW barrels is they balance well for off-hand shooting. For someone who shoots in a carbine class or carries a rifle in the field, LW is the way to go.
You'll notice a trend towards lighter and lighter rifles for guys who shoot a lot.

The PSA barrel is manufactured by FN with extra chrome lining. It will probably outperform its owner in the accuracy department.

eta: The BCM ELW barreled upper with KMR rail is becoming one of the most popular uppers on Arfcom, but it costs a bit more than the PSA.
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-LIGHT-WEIGHT-KeyMod-KMR13-p/bcm-urg-mid-16elwf-kmr13.htm

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 9:10:51 PM EST
Thanks for the explanation! It seems like given what you've said, the PSA upper that NVCapCop linked is my best bet without jumping appreciably in price. I think I'll pull the trigger on that! Now for an optic....
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 9:21:29 PM EST
PSA's CHF uppers are very nice and the barrels are made by FN. Cant beat the price but the wait can be long.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 9:30:02 PM EST
I would definitely build with that PSA upper.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 11:01:06 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/28/2014 11:05:30 PM EST by WrenchGuy]
Generally I'm not a fan of pencil barrels, but that PSA is decent due to the hammer forged barrel, it would serve you well.

I built one of these, 14.7" CHF M4A1 for my primary HD/SHTF rifle...the M4A1 barrel is heavier under the handguard and is built to last under heavy use.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 11:24:06 AM EST
Thanks everyone for your help! Can any of you recommend a decent set of BUIS? I know that the magpul are popular and seem relatively inexpensive. I'll be pairing those with a red dot of some kind. I'd want both a front and rear BUIS, correct?
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 12:01:15 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Gainz247:
Thanks everyone for your help! Can any of you recommend a decent set of BUIS? I know that the magpul are popular and seem relatively inexpensive. I'll be pairing those with a red dot of some kind. I'd want both a front and rear BUIS, correct?
View Quote

If you are using a red dot as your primary optic, MagPul sights will serve you adequately. If you purchase a full rail upper, you'll need both front and rear sights.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 12:12:17 PM EST
The PSA barrel is manufactured by FN with extra chrome lining.

Why is that?
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 12:32:33 PM EST
Originally Posted By quixtr:
The PSA barrel is manufactured by FN with extra chrome lining.

Why is that?
View Quote

Barrel: A proprietary blend of cold hammer forged chrome-moly vanadium made by FN that is referred to as "Machine Gun Steel" by virtue of its required use in FN's M249 and M240 weapons. The hammer forging process hardens the steel, making it more durable. In addition, the chrome process for the bore allows for a lining almost twice as thick as a standard M16 for enhanced durability. Chambered in 5.56 NATO, with a 1/7 twist, M4 barrel extension, and a mid-length gas system. The pencil profile style barrel is high pressure tested, magnetic particle inspected and then phosphate coated to mil-specs. Barrel is finished off with a Midwest Industries SSK 12" free-float keymod rail, low-profile gas block and an A2 flash hider.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:01:08 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/15/2015 3:01:22 PM EST by Gainz247]
Due to the fact that the PSA BCG and CH haven't been in stock since this topic was discussed, I'm now looking for alternate options as I have all of the other pieces. Can anyone recommend a BCG and CH from where else that has them in stock? I've located this: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-Auto-M16-p/bcm-bolt-carrier-group-auto-mp.htm

Is there a better price or brand to be had elsewhere?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 4:03:55 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/15/2015 4:07:17 PM EST by minion42]
Due to the fact that the PSA BCG and CH haven't been in stock since this topic was discussed, I'm now looking for alternate options as I have all of the other pieces. Can anyone recommend a BCG and CH from where else that has them in stock? I've located this: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-Auto-M16-p/bcm-bolt-carrier-group-auto-mp.htm

View Quote

You can get BCM bolt/carrier groups on the EE for $140-$150 shipped if you are patient. There are lots of them out there because BCM is giving them away with their uppers. Check this forum a couple times a day and you'll get one relatively quickly.

The EE is the greatest thing since sliced bread when it comes to building a rifle. Enjoy!
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 4:51:01 PM EST

View Quote

I'd check two site sponsors: AIMSurplus and Primary Arms. I've run a AIMSurplus Nitrided BCG without issue, pretty easy to clean too.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:17:31 PM EST
Just saw that PSA has their premium BCG and a CH combo on sale for $99.00. Pretty good deal.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 2:20:12 AM EST
Originally Posted By ElvisTCB:
Just saw that PSA has their premium BCG and a CH combo on sale for $99.00. Pretty good deal.
View Quote

Welcome aboard. PSA is not known for their HIGH quality. If you want HIGH quality then look to Noveske, Larue, Vltor, Etc... Psa is known for quality at reasonable prices. Just not HIGH quality.
Top Top