Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2005 3:15:18 PM EDT
I have to choose between 2 rifles, one is a DPMS carbine and the other is a heavy DCM match rifle.
I know I can build a lightweight upper if I choose the match rifle.
Most of my shooting will be at paper, occaisionally varmints if I get a chance, possibly some sillouette matches.
My question is- how much accuracy would I give up using the carbine?
This is in reference to a trade I have going. The match rifle has a stainless 1/8 barrel and is new. The DPMS carbine is in very good condition. I know the guy I will be trading with maintains his weapons and I have no doubts about either of them.
If I do go with the match rifle approx. how much would a lightweight upper and collapsible stock be?
I am heavily leaning to the match rifle based on the shooting I will be doing, but the carbine has an appeal too. I basically need to stimulate some thoughts to make sure I choose the rifle that will make me happiest.
 I have asked a couple of guys via pm but want a wider range of ideas.
BTW, this will be my first AR15.
Thanks,
Jim
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:41:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the 16" would be a good first AR.

They're more fun to shoot and are a lot handier. The DCM gun is a little specialized and will probably have a match trigger in it. While not bad for plinking, it doesn't sound like you'll be using it to it's fullest, and I've heard that they are awfully heavy.

Just my $.02

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:48:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Wizzo, the DCM rifle being made for a specialized style of shooting is my only reservation about it.
Are these only really good for long range shooting? What is the reasonable longest range for a carbine?
I seriously doubt I will ever shoot over 300 yards, if that.
I am really not familiar with all the different versions of AR!%s available.
Thanks,
Jim
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:56:34 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're shooting at a max of 300yds, a carbine will serve you well. I was shooting my 16" carbine with Wolf ammo and iron sites at 400yds (laser rangefinder verified) at an 18" wide and 4' tall water cooler and was getting about 50% hits at that distance with a heavy standard trigger.

Besides, the DCM rifle will add weight that might not be needed in most instances.

It all depends on what you want to do with it. If you want it to be handy and accurate enough for government work, the carbine will be great. The DCM gun will be accuraet to beat hell, but it comes with the weight penalty.

Just my opinion.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:00:56 PM EDT
[#4]
How much do the DCM service rifles weigh? Are they heavier than a Garand?
Jim
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:04:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
How much do the DCM service rifles weigh? Are they heavier than a Garand?
Jim

I think they're close (about 9lbs, IIRC), but that is considered heavy for an AR.

WIZZO
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top