Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 10/8/2007 3:29:02 PM EST
I've narrowed down the supplier of my first kit (varmint) to J&T, or a slightly customized Olympic kit with a stainless ultra match barrel from Dtech - the guy that is very highly thought of over at PredatorMaster.com.

I can get a 20" bull kit from J&T with a nice grip for around $600.

Here is what Dtech can get me for about $100 more.

Stainless Ultra Match Olympic kit:

1) 20", bull, stainless, broach-cut national match barrel, 1:10 or 1:8.

1) forged flat-top upper receiver with ejection-port cover, charging handle and forward assist. I would also square this upper in my lathe prior to shipment.

1) Bolt/bolt carrier assembly headspaced to the barrel.

1) lower parts kit, with pistol grip.

1) A-2 Butt-stock assembly with receiver extension, buffer and spring.

1) single rail gas-block.

1) standard length gas-tube and pin.

1) free-float tube assembly.

The guys at PM all say to go with the Dtech kit. I'm pretty sure he garantees 1" groups or less.

What is the difference between a broach-cut and button rifled barrel?

Let's here some opinions. This is my first build and I want to do it right.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:40:50 PM EST
I think you'd do better to think about a setup with a RRA Varmint upper, reviews on them are kick-a, (http://www.snipercentral.com/rra.htm - you obviously would want to 20" setup) and I think you'll be happier with the long term reliability. RRA uppers are generally held in higher regard than J&T and certainly Olympic. (Olympic does have nice barrels nontheless) I think the below setup will be somewhere around $650 when it's all said and done...

Stag lower - $90 www.ballisticsounds.com
Ubiquitous LPK $55
A2 Stock/buffer $60
RRA Varmint upper - $400s http://www.ar15sales.com/rrauppers.htm

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:24:21 PM EST
Thanks for those links. A RRA upper for $400 sounds good. I will have to give these guys a call to get a complete price. I have a Superior lower. Doesn't RRA garantee .75" groups?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:19:56 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/8/2007 5:21:52 PM EST by m4_556]
Please note the price I stated was 400s as in somewhere between 4-500, I think it will be closer to 500. Give Pete a call, he's the guy to talk to when looking for RRA. As to guarentees, screw it, accuracy is dependent on multiple factors, not the least being you - it's hard to imagine needing more though.
Top Top