Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/28/2011 1:56:03 AM EDT
Thought i would throw the question out. I have a Spikes .22 upper on order from a UK dealer, however i understand Spikes have something like 700 .22 rifles outstanding and that they are having issues with suppliers. Also hearing that they are no longer running with the .22 format ? ( anyone know the truth ? )

My question is, do i wait to see what happens with Spikes or do i order a CMMG upper from another UK dealer ?

I have no experience of this make so if anyone can give me feedback on quality etc it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 4:39:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Spike's has shut down production of their 22 Conversions and Dedicated Uppers.
Partly because they are busy in other areas of the AR-15 Business and partly because
they will likely be doing some updates on their conversions and uppers. I have shot a
number of their uppers and had very good results. As with the products of any of our
Industry suppliers, most of their products are very nice. All of those companies offer
warranties that will cover any problems... Spike's is a fine company.

The only reason to switch to a CMMG is if there is a cost advantage or you want the
additional functionality they offer. CMMG is also a fine company...

Dave / Spec
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 5:15:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. Not much choice in the UK for uppers only as most of the market is for complete rifles - S & W / Sig etc

Will chase my dealer to see if Spikes are honouring the order for his 20
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 6:49:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Considering Spikes is pulling the ST22 due to issues and redesigning it, I believe the CMMG would be the better choice. More function, reliable, less expensive, backed by great C.S.
I have over 12K through my M4 LE with 3 FTE's not ammo related.
Dave N
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 8:45:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Looking at the current choices in .22 AR's its hard not to pick the CMMG. They have done their homework and made it work while doing the volume to keep the price in line. Spikes is a great company with good people but it sounds like .22 AR's are not on the front burner at the moment.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 10:19:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:21:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks guys

Who is your UK importer ?
Does the company concerned keep spares to support the rifles they sell  ?
How long have you waited for the rifle ?
How long might you wait for spares to support the bolt group ?
Would you be competing in Mini rifle or IPSC type 2 gun matches in UK ?

Spikes are a good company, period & the above is in no way aimed at them. Angela @ Spikes helped me out alot.
The US do not have to deal with some of the unique issues that face UK owners of black rifles & the supply chain to run these rifles long term.
I run a fully blinged ST22. It's not all been sunshine & roses. You learn alot when you try to fix a less than yr old rifle of this type here in blighty
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:27:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Looking at the current choices in .22 AR's its hard not to pick the CMMG. They have done their homework and made it work while doing the volume to keep the price in line. Spikes is a great company with good people but it sounds like .22 AR's are not on the front burner at the moment.

All this.
Wise words.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:03:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Hi, a dealer Manchester based who is a cracking guy. Not waited long ( he has waited longer ) ime just impatient to get a .22 upper. Competing is on the cards.

Unique issues ! I know the feeling ! hard work springs to mind.

My Spikes .223 is superb, just unsure about another brand. BUT going by the sound of the response will be looking at a different make ( maybe )
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:52:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hi, a dealer Manchester based who is a cracking guy. Not waited long ( he has waited longer ) ime just impatient to get a .22 upper. Competing is on the cards.

My Spikes .223 is superb, just unsure about another brand. BUT going by the sound of the response will be looking at a different make ( maybe )

Cracking guy takes on a whole new meaning in my neck of the woods.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:31:04 PM EDT
[#10]
From the sound of your replies, You want an upper that will be available to you very soon.
If that's CMMG, You can buy with confidence. The industry partners here that manufacturer
22 uppers are all reputable and stand behind their products. You just have to pick the one
you want, can afford and is available...

Good Luck,
Spec
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:12:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cracking guy takes on a whole new meaning in my neck of the woods.

You're closer to the truth on that than you know !

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top