Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/7/2006 8:03:27 PM EDT
I've decided to just buy a receiver block and barrel wrench, and replace my barrel assembly completely instead of paying to have a "pre-ban" FSB installed and the barrel cut/threaded. Anyways, the question I'm faced with now is which to get. I've decided on a 14.5" barrel, which will of course have a Phantom pinned to it, but I'm not sold on whether to get a DPMS, which is slightly more expensive, or a Bushmaster. I am concerned about Bushmaster after hearing and seeing some canted FSB's on their barrels and Bushmaster not correcting it, but as my rifle is a Bushy, I'd like to keep it all one, unless there is enough reason to go with another manufacturer.

I know this all boils down to personal preference, but since I really don't have one, I'm hoping you knowledgeable folks can give me some guidance here.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:48:54 PM EDT
[#1]
The key is "some" stories.  There are bad stories about DPMS as well, though perhaps not this specific issue.

The odds of you getting a bad barrel from Bushmaster are exceedingly slim, for those few bad stories imagine the tens of thousands of proper barrels they have sold.  I'd go with Bushy, just my .02
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:22:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Mike is correct, I will not mention any names but all standard barrel vendors have a less than stellar barrel get in the mix.

Why not go with a Krieger or Pac Nor?

They are more exspensive but the quality IMHO is supperior to other barrels from a standard vendor.

Krieger

Pac Nor
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:37:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info. I brought up Bushmaster because my friends FSB is also canted, and someone on the boards said they contacted Bushmaster about their FSB and they refused to fix it. The FSB on my Bushmaster is fine, but just wondering if there was something better before I spent the money.

I checked out the two links but neither of those places showed 14.5" barrels, or M4 profile. Honestly I think they'd both be overkill for what I'm looking for. I'm just trying to figure out all of the places that make the short barrels, and who makes the best for that type.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:42:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh hell yes!

As Long-Rifle-Tactical mentioned, there are better barrels.

Pac-Nor and Krieger are among the very best premium barrels available, no doubt about it.  Other premium barrels are such as (in no particular order) Douglas, Lilja, Hart, Mike Rock, Shilen, Lothar Walther, etc. Then there are the crappy barrels below major company factory OEM.  Much will depend on who you get the barrel from as to canted FSB as companies will use the barrel blanks from the above mentioned then do the contouring and mounting of the FSB, companies such as Noveske or Compass Lake Engineering.

I didn't mention the better barrels because I assumed you were trying to put together the rifle on the cheap.  If you are not competing or demand benchrest accuracy, you can get by with a standard fair quality barrel.

Not to go OT or drag up what may be a sore thread but I would be interested in the case about Bushmaster you saw.  I find it odd that they would not fix the problem or replace it if they were proven to be the one at fault.  Why did they say they would not fix it?  Was the canting excessive or minor?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:54:41 PM EDT
[#5]
My mistake on the barrels, as Mike stated there are excellent barrels he mentioned as well.

Try Sherluk call and ask for Kent after 10 am and he does the barrel work, they will get you where you want to go and he will install the FH for you as well.

Now understand that they do get busy but are a small shop and do take the time to do it good.

I have a .MIL contractor that has what you are looking for but have not a clue on the price for what you need.

Sherluk Marketing & Trading
P.O. Box 156
Delta, Ohio 43515

PHONE: (419) 923-8011
FAX: (419) 923-8120
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:31:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Not to go OT or drag up what may be a sore thread but I would be interested in the case about Bushmaster you saw.  I find it odd that they would not fix the problem or replace it if they were proven to be the one at fault.  Why did they say they would not fix it?  Was the canting excessive or minor?

The thread is somewhere in this forum, I just can't find it now.

I'm just looking for a barrel assembly from like Bushmaster/DPMS/RRA, etc., but I'm looking for a 14.5". The only two I saw were Bushy and DPMS. I'm not looking for a high-end barrel for competition, I just wanted to know if anyone was aware of other places like Bushmaster and DPMS who have the 14.5" barrel assemblies.

I check out Sherluks page, and I see them at the local gun shows, I've just never paid much attention to their products. I'll have to give them a call and see if they have anything like what I want. But are they better/on par with DPMS and Bushmaster?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:08:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Check out CMMG's barrels.... they stand by what they make %100, and they use a 1x7 twist if that matters to you..

FWIW, nothing wrong with Bushmaster.. I got a deal on a Bushy 1x7 20", and that is what I am using my rifle build..
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:49:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The thread is somewhere in this forum, I just can't find it now.

I'm just looking for a barrel assembly from like Bushmaster/DPMS/RRA, etc., but I'm looking for a 14.5". The only two I saw were Bushy and DPMS. I'm not looking for a high-end barrel for competition, I just wanted to know if anyone was aware of other places like Bushmaster and DPMS who have the 14.5" barrel assemblies.

I check out Sherluks page, and I see them at the local gun shows, I've just never paid much attention to their products. I'll have to give them a call and see if they have anything like what I want. But are they better/on par with DPMS and Bushmaster?

I have used the barrels and they are the same quality for the intended use, no MP stamp but run just fine.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:11:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I spotted a Cav Arms 14.5 in the EE for $135 IIRC.   Made by Sabre defense, chrome lined and preban config.   Good barrel.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:31:38 AM EDT
[#10]
tag
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:47:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:47:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
COLT or Bravo Co

as for misalined barrels, if you install the barrel it's your responsibility.

I know at least one of these canted FSB's on Bushmasters weren't because of someone misaligning a barrel they bought, because my friend bought his Bushy new.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:22:44 PM EDT
[#13]
dont know if this will help you, these guys have 14.5" Bushmaster barells in stock ready to ship. really nice guys to deal with. got my 16" heavy fluted from them.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=263482
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:29:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
dont know if this will help you, these guys have 14.5" Bushmaster barells in stock ready to ship. really nice guys to deal with. got my 16" heavy fluted from them.

Hot link
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:30:50 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

If all the parts in the photos are included, that would be hard to beat.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:08:10 AM EDT
[#16]
they come as complete barrel assemblies, and the best part is there is no wait. Bushmaster told me 4 to 6 weeks. I only use Bushmaster, but i did not want to wait 6 weeks when i could get it in three days

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:33:43 AM EDT
[#17]
CMMG makes good ones
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top