Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/18/2003 8:57:19 PM EDT
I have been a member of the board for a short time and read oh so many posts on peoples AR preferences.  I have for my own reasons narrowed my first AR choice down to 3 choices.  If anyone has any comments to help me decide I would appreciate it.  I am looking for a starter gun.  If I really get into the AR I may buy another gun.  The first gun should be affordable and fun to shoot.  I want to mount either a red-dot or other scope to the AR.  I have gone back and forth whether I should get an A3 or an A2 and just mount the optics for my first one on the carry handle.  I am looking at the Olympic PCR 5 ,Cavalry Arms M-4, or the scout flattop.  I am going to order from Atlantic Firearms.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rooter
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 9:02:13 PM EDT
[#1]
For my FIRST rifle I would get the 20" A3.  It will do everything you want with irons or a red dot.  I always go with full size rifles first and then pick up more specialized carbines late.  Just what I prefer to do.  YMMV.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 5:46:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree...
Learn on a 20" rifle. Better accuracy at longer ranges.

I bought a Bushmaster 20" A2 Target. My first choice was a A3 match Colt, but he sold it the day before I was ready to buy, so I bought the Bushy instead.  Now I'm looking at red dots for optics to mount on the Carry handle.

Next rifle will be have an A3 upper...

[sniper2]  
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 6:45:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I am leaning toward the 16" barrel.  Although this will be my first AR it will not be my first firearm.  I have an AK and many, many bolt action rifles in various calibers so I am confident that I can adapt to the shooting characteristics of the carbine barrel.  I understand there are deep feelings among some of you guys about which manufacturer you prefer.  To each his own.  I have made manufacturer choices, but as far as the model I have narrowed it down to the three choices I listed above.  Thanks for the input.  If anyone has any other comments about the 3 rifles I would appreciate it.  If there is one thing I have learned is that this board has a WEALTH of knowledge.  I should also add that in my area AR's are very pricey.  I feel confident that if I do indeed like the AR life I can sell my budget weapon and make a small, but tidy profit and step up to an "all the bells and whistles" model

Thanks,

Rooter
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top