Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2006 9:15:06 PM EDT
Mounted my Aimpoint-like sight on top of my carry handle and don't get good cheek-weld when looking through it.  Any suggestions?  I have an RRA CAR A4, and was thinking that a cheek-pad might be the ticket, but wasn't sure if there is one for a 6-pos, adjustible stock.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:20:05 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Mounted my Aimpoint-like sight on top of my carry handle and don't get good cheek-weld when looking through it.  Any suggestions?  I have an RRA CAR A4, and was thinking that a cheek-pad might be the ticket, but wasn't sure if there is one for a 6-pos, adjustible stock.

Thanks.

This would work
www.dpmsinc.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=CP-AP4

www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=205276
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:30:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I had an aimpoint mounted on my bushy CH and dersonally I did not care for it at all.  I shot it that way for about 2 years till I took it off.  I think the best option would be to buy a flat top upper or rifle and leave that one w/ irons. I personally wouldnt use a cheek pad, because you cant use the irons if needed.  YMMV
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:43:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I also tried an Aimpoint on a carry handle and didn't like it very much either.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:00:37 AM EDT
[#4]
You could also try a gooseneck mount.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:17:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You could also try a gooseneck mount.

+1 but a new upper was the only cure for me.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:23:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Get either a flat top or a gas mask.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:34:07 AM EDT
[#7]
This guy can achieve proper cheek weld with the Aimpoint on top of the carry handle.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:10:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I just recently did the same exact thing.

You'll be looknig more at chin weld, not cheek weld
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:14:03 AM EDT
[#9]
deja vu...................

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=273230

Mike
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:37:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Give the Aimpoint "goose neck" mount a try. That's what I use and I really like it. The goose neck will allow you to co-witness with the iron sites and it gets your cheek weld right where it needs to be. I got mine from SWFA, they were great to deal with.

Be safe,

Flyer
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:29:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
This guy can achieve proper cheek weld with the Aimpoint on top of the carry handle.
www.internet-encyclopedia.org/upload/0/02/John_kerry.jpg

One of the funniest responses that I have seen in a while...
Reminds me of a bad joke...  John Kerry and a horse walk into a bar.  The bartender looks at Kerry, looks at the horse, looks back at Kerry pauses for a moment and says "Hey fellow, why such a long face".
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:53:12 AM EDT
[#12]
My upper is a flat top.  So the point of the gooseneck is to get the aimpoint to sit relatively in line with (or just above) the iron sights?  (that's what is called "cowitness", right?)  Will the gooseneck work with other devices besides an Aimpoint? the device I'm using is actually a Tasco model that isn't sold anymore but works great.

ETA:  Oh, and thanks Mike.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:57:46 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Get either a flat top or a gas mask.

jerk.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:21:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
My upper is a flat top.  So the point of the gooseneck is to get the aimpoint to sit relatively in line with (or just above) the iron sights?  (that's what is called "cowitness", right?)  Will the gooseneck work with other devices besides an Aimpoint? the device I'm using is actually a Tasco model that isn't sold anymore but works great.

ETA:  Oh, and thanks Mike.  

Let me get this straight.  You have a flat top and you are womdering about putting an scope on a removable CH?  Why?  The whole purpose of a flat top is to make the use of optics not a hassle as compared to a CH.  Do your self a favor and forget about  useing a CH and mount straight to the receiver.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:43:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I have an aimpoint gooseneck i have no use for,  gimme a good price and its yours.

ETA: Not trying to turn this into an EE thread, i just have it and no use for it.

LINK

they want 55, ill take fiddy for it, jk, $50
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#16]
This woman will mount her Aimpoint on the carry handle. You should not, and should just get a flat-top to host yours.

Then again, a flat-top is no sure thing. In this case shown with an EOTech

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:46:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Here is the better option if you plan to keep the A2 upper receiver (as previously suggested)

ARMS Mounts for this application

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:48:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Try mounting the Aimpoint in front of the carry handle?

ETA: I'm late
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:46:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Ok, so since I have a flat top upper, if I want to remove the DCH and mount this device (which is actually not an Aimpoint, it's a different brand that uses two rings instead of  one) what do folks recommend?  I guess all I really need is a picatinny rail  that clamps on to the flat-top to give me the height to co-witness or clear the front sight post.

Sorry for the annoying newbie thread guys.  You've been quite helpful.  There are soooooo many accessories out there for these rifles.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:55:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I've got an Aimpoint mounted on my CH and works OK for me. Don't have a removable CH, so I tried it and made it work for me.
While I know it's not the ideal setup, it does work as a defensive rifle (I don't shoot in matches) and so I don't know why all the hate for this setup as if it was useless.
That gooseneck thing? Not for me. Just doesn't look right and seems unnecessarily cumbersome, plus doesn't it hinder seeing the irons cleanly? I don't like co-witnessing through the optic and relying on it to use my irons. Rather keep them independent.
Just IMO...
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:30:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I've got an Aimpoint mounted on my CH and works OK for me. Don't have a removable CH, so I tried it and made it work for me.
While I know it's not the ideal setup, it does work as a defensive rifle (I don't shoot in matches) and so I don't know why all the hate for this setup as if it was useless.
That gooseneck thing? Not for me. Just doesn't look right and seems unnecessarily cumbersome, plus doesn't it hinder seeing the irons cleanly? I don't like co-witnessing through the optic and relying on it to use my irons. Rather keep them independent.
Just IMO...

+1
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:35:46 PM EDT
[#22]
I had the Aimpoint Gooseneck and it was junk compared to the A.R.M.S.® #39™ A2 Plus Mount, in my opinion. Street price around $125.

For the A1 and A2 carry handles on M16 rifles.

The main body of the A2 Plus mount locks into both the carry handle channel and the handle front support, utilizing two A.R.M.S.® self locking thumbnuts. The capability provides rigid support of the dovetail platform that is extended over the hand guards; just like the patented Swan® Super Extended Sleeve. The A2 Plus mount comes with the A.R.M.S.®/Swan®/aka Mil-Std. 1913 rail machined to mate the top of the carry handle, much like the famous A.R.M.S.® #2 M16A1A2 Scope Mount. It provides dual mounting capabilities while maintaining the enhanced iron and optic see thru function. The bi-level mounting capability offers multiple combinations of attachments - no tools required. The mount also features a brush breaker at the front to prevent branches and other objects from wedging between the hand guards and the suspended rail. Optical and laser perfect parallel alignment are achieved, while eliminating head and vibrations that may be experienced in barrel mounting systems.

NOTE: It does not fit on detachable handles.

www.armsmounts.com/catalog.php?action=124&item_id=41

www.mountsplus.com/miva/merchant.mvc?page=MSP/PROD/arms/39
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top