Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/30/2006 4:13:18 PM EDT
Can someone suggest a cheap rail system? Something under $200? Does such a contraption exsist?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:16:06 PM EDT
MI Industries has a really nice "budget" rail system made to work with KAC accessories such as rail panels.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:24:57 PM EDT
you can get a bunch of nice rail systems for under $150. Surefire, MI, YHM and a couple other companies.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:36:24 PM EDT
I'm buying an upper eventually, and i found someone on the EE that'll add a MI ind. rail for an extra $130.

What about flashlights? It doesn't really need to be all that bright -- its mostly cosemetic.

And does anyone know where i could get a AN/PEQ-2 style laser that uses visible light?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:38:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By John210:
I'm buying an upper eventually, and i found someone on the EE that'll add a MI ind. rail for an extra $130.

What about flashlights? It doesn't really need to be all that bright -- its mostly cosemetic. huh?

And does anyone know where i could get a AN/PEQ-2 style laser that uses visible light?

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:42:26 PM EDT
Eh i probably wont do alot of shooting at night -- i'm just trying to go for a specops kinda look (sounds retarded to most, but i'm young and stupid).

But in a HD situation it should be bright enough to blind; i'm just saying i dont need to illuminate a football stadium or anything.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:46:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By John210:

What about flashlights? It doesn't really need to be all that bright -- its mostly cosemetic.

please stop!
obviously you don't need a light and if you don't want to get ripped for saying that I would just drop it and forget about buying a light.

one of the most important things on a fighting carbine is a damn light and it sure as hell isn't for "cosmetic" reasons
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:57:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/30/2006 5:00:43 PM EDT by John210]
I'm just saying i mostly shoot in the day, so it wouldnt be used 80% of the time.

Only at home for HD purposes would it be needed; I'm not going to be busting down doors in fallujah so a $50 light will suffice.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:00:43 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:02:10 PM EDT
thanks!

anyone know of any cheap an/peq-2 style lasers?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:08:22 PM EDT
You can spend about $100 or more on a laser you wont need, or about $100 or more on ammo to keep the zombies out of your house.

I don't know about you, but I dont think a laser can scatter zombie brains like some good ole 556 will do.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:15:19 PM EDT
Ammo is no problem for me... My father went a little crazy with the stockpile a few years ago... I'm well off on decent 5.56 for quite some time to say the least lol.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:21:55 PM EDT
For a decent PEQ 2 you are going to pay alot unless you get an airsoft copy. A good one is laser devices OTAL for over 400.00. As for flashlights you might look at a surefire G2 with a pressure tape tail cap. You can get the tail cap from pelican lights for about 20.00 I think and mount it with any number of mounting systems out there. I understand building on a budget, and it can be done and done good but you want your flashlight to be bright, save the money from a laser and invest it in a light or in optics.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:27:11 PM EDT
Yeah the laser isn't terribly important... thought it might help with bumping from the hip ( this thread gets worse and worse doesn't it? )

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:41:43 PM EDT
www.olyarms.com/?page=m3_FIRSH

I'm very happy with mine.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:33:44 PM EDT
John, Don't sweat it too much. As long as you take gun safety seriously there is no reason you have to take your build or yourself seriously as well. Folks will get on you on the boards from time to time for being so honest but it sounds like you're "serious" about building a range "toy" and in my eyes there's nothing wrong with that. While there is a ton of expertise available to all of us on these boards and no doubt many professionals who put their AR's to work every day in here as well I'd wager most of the folks started out trying to come up with something as close to what the pro's use as possible so it looks/feels authentic when you're punching holes in paper terrorists at the range. Have fun and if it matures to the point that your AR is a first choice defensive weapon, great. If not just shoot the hell out of it and enjoy it. We all love the ride and that's why we're here, isn't it?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:33:43 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:02:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Teknic:

Originally Posted By aa777888-2:

FIRSH is Very heavy.

In this price range, go with the MI or YHM IMO.

+1 the MI looks great and is priced right.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:38:10 PM EDT
John210 IMHO, save up and buy the best equipment for your weapon. It won't fail when you need it and you'll save money in the long run. Quality equipment will last a life time.

Buy one piece at a time. You'll end up buying quality equipment sooner or later.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:01:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By aa777888-2:

+1 on the firsh. I have one on mine and it works great for the price. $99 for the carbine model.
Threads right onto the supplied barrel nut. It gives you one long rail down your gun if you are running a flattop.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:21:28 AM EDT
Another really nice laser is the LDI LAS/TAC for around $250 with mount. They are just as nice as the LDI OTAL but just not a cool looking so I don't know if you would like that one or not. You can also try a Surefire G2 with shock isolated bezel for a cheap (price wise only) weapon light. If you are looking for a drop in rail system that won't hurt the wallet too bad I think the Samson drop in rail would be nice for under $200.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:27:27 AM EDT
In the $150 range, the MI is the best, hands down IMHO.

Since you said $200 was your limit, I'd give the Samson non-FF a try. They look more along the quality of KAC. Either way, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

As far as the light goes, I'm torn. I say go quality or go home, however, most of the guys who are on this board, have never used their weapon mounted lights to identify and blind their targets (at least none that shoot back), and most never will. Most of the guns here are just SHTF guns, for "just in case the zombies get here." Don't sweat it.
Top Top