Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2005 9:22:43 PM EDT
Does anyone know where I can buy some good cheap binoculars that are good enough to be able to spot your groupings out to 100+ yards?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:12:11 PM EDT
[#1]
It will be tough to see .22 caliber holes at 100 yards with binoculars. I have a pair of 10x and can barely make out .30 caliber holes. 10x binoculars are tough to hold steady and don't have enough magnification.
Get a spotting scope. There are several around $100.00 that are OK for range work. They aren't the best optics, but you can see holes in paper.
Jim
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:51:38 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It will be tough to see .22 caliber holes at 100 yards with binoculars. I have a pair of 10x and can barely make out .30 caliber holes. 10x binoculars are tough to hold steady and don't have enough magnification.
Get a spotting scope. There are several around $100.00 that are OK for range work. They aren't the best optics, but you can see holes in paper.
Jim

Do you have any particular suggestions for spotting scopes in the ~$100 range or know of a good website that sells them? Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:52:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Jim

Do you have any particular suggestions for spotting scopes in the ~$100 range or know of a good website that sells them? Thanks!

See the attached URLs:
www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jsp?id=cat20762&navAction=jump&navCount=1&parentId=cat20712&parentType=category&cmCat=MainCatcat20712

www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=1810&category=Optics&dept%5Fname=Spotting+Scopes%2FTelescopes&mscssid=V1A636ESXFB68K7K3C7B4G1N2Q7V3HHD

You may also check around your area at local Fun shows for an NC Star, which is made in China and held in low opinion by the majority on this forum, but it is inexpensive and works.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:57:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I can tell you without reservation, that if you buy a cheap spotting scope or binoculars, you won't have them for very long before you will want a better quality one. Get the best you can afford to, and don't look back.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:43:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Hear hear!  Many people say well, it's only $100/$50/$whatever-little-amount, if I don't like it I haven't lost out much.  Waste is waste, while I spent thousands on optics, I kick myself for spending $20 that I shouldn't have.
The moment you look through a quality spotting scope or a pair of real binocs, you'll be sorry you bought the el cheapo crap, and say to yourself "I should have listened"
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:57:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I can tell you without reservation, that if you buy a cheap spotting scope or binoculars, you won't have them for very long before you will want a better quality one. Get the best you can afford to, and don't look back.

This is very true, buy the best you can afford.
Unfortunately some of us are on a limited budget, and if a BSA or cheapo Bushnell is the best he can do then it's better than no scope at all.
I bought a cheapo BSA scope a few years ago when I got tired of trying to hold those damn 10x binoculars steady. It's not real clear, but for a range scope it works. When I can afford a better scope I'll buy one and give this to the range, but it's better than nothing.
Buy the best you can and don't worry about what might be better out there. There is always something better.
Remember, good enough is good enough!
Jim
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:20:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I disagree.  Most of the cheaply made and cheaply sold spotting scopes have a yellow tint and their images are distorted, with very short eye relief and poor FOV, when I was forced to use them in the past, I always found myself tossing it aside and using my rifle scope instead, though my rifle scope had less magnification (10X vs. 25 or 40X) I could see clearly and not have to struggle with the fooking cheap pieces of shit.  There isn't a whole lot of scopes out there that can compete with US Optics's resolution
So for me at least, it's better to not have one, for if I didn't buy the trash that passes as an optic, I'd still have money in my pocket, if I did buy it, I'd end up with a hunk of junk that I wouldn't use, and would have wasted money on it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:39:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Hear hear!  Many people say well, it's only $100/$50/$whatever-little-amount, if I don't like it I haven't lost out much.  Waste is waste, while I spent thousands on optics, I kick myself for spending $20 that I shouldn't have.
The moment you look through a quality spotting scope or a pair of real binocs, you'll be sorry you bought the el cheapo crap, and say to yourself "I should have listened"

I learned this by experience... After a few pairs of cheapo binocs, I bought a nice set of Steiner Marine's. Never need another pair for life.

As for scopes, I'd had cheaper ones, but when I dropped a grand for an ACOG, I learned why they're so good first hand. I'll save up and buy the good one now, rather than dumping money on something to "make do" I'd make do by walking to the target after each shooting volley. More incentive to save the money for a really good spotting scope.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:29:46 AM EDT
[#9]
What type of magnification should I be looking for in a pair of binoculars or a spotting scope that will be able to see tiny .22 holes out to 100 yards?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:42:46 PM EDT
[#10]
25X and above will do nicely.  Leupold WindRiver series is a good, inexpensive (not CHEAP) spotting scope, I had one, only sold it because I got a Baush & Lomb spotting scope, made for the military and in the US
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:55:44 PM EDT
[#11]
What do you guys think of Bushnell brand spotting scopes?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:03:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Celestron Ultima 65 for $125.

I found out about the Celestron Ultimas at Snipers Paradise where the optics are being compared to the Kowas by people that know their glass. I first bought the Ultima 85 for $180 and found it was a little big for draging around on hunting trips, so I then bought the Ultima 65.

These things are Fucking amazing. Very clear optics, Waterproof and a Lifetime "No Fault" warrenty. The only real downside is that while they are very well built, they probably aren't as tough as the Kowas, but with a no fault warrenty it's no problem as long as it's not going to war.

I think this is a case of getting 85% the quality of a $900 optics for 20% - 25% of the price.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top