Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 2:00:22 PM EDT
As a noob reading the recent threads about cases blowing pieces of the bolt into your face, I decided to take a close look at some of my ammo.

Below is a pic of 5 rounds from one box of cheap Federal hollow points I bought at Walmart before I new any better.

The 2 on the left have bad looking jackets and the one on the right looks like good candidate for blowing a bolt up.   The whole lot had zero consistency as far as the depth the bullet was pushed in.

http://www.auctionadvisory.com/ar15/fedloads.jpg

Needless to say, this stuff went in file 13.  I'll stick with my XM193 & SS109.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:02:47 PM EDT
[#1]
It's ALWAYS a good idea to inspect your ammunition.  ALWAYS.  That goes for cheap plinking rounds or high-priced "precision" ammunition.  Stuff happens and even the best manufactured rounds can get changed into dangerous items in shipment or handling.  I'd say you made good calls on those five rounds, though they probably would not have caused real problems.  Why risk it?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:27:40 PM EDT
[#2]
can't lose w/ winchester white box.  try that next time you're at walmart.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:50:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I won't need ammo for a LONG time.  I stocked up on XM193 and RG SS109.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I won't need ammo for a LONG time.  I stocked up on XM193 and RG SS109.

That's what you say now............
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top