Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/6/2006 4:58:37 PM EDT
http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/12939tool.jpg

I used a nylon toilet seat screw to make a non-marring AR takedown tool. I just Drimeled down the end to fit the pin so it would push the pin out 1/4'' then beveled the screw head to fit under the pin to pry it out. I use a accuwedge on one of my rifles so I prefer the pry method. You could just as easily Dremil down the point to push the pin all the way out. You can get a pr. the screws at Wallyworld for less than a buck. I hate paying for a simple tool and I just knew I would find a use for those screws I saved.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:14:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting...
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:21:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool idea. I tried wood dowels but it usually broke apart.

I've come up with an idea of a spring loaded take down tool. Never have built it. Shouldn't cost much and won't be big. My Bushmasters aren't much trouble to push out with my fingers. But my other carbine built on the RRA receiver is a pain in the ass.

ETA: Here's my idea. Excuse the crudeness with no measurements or details. First time I ever took it out of my idea and actually put it out. Basically some sort of tubing or pipe. 1 rod all the way through. Either bend at a 90 at the back, add a "T" or leave it alone. Weld a washer that does double duty as a stopper and spring cup inside the pipe/tubing/cylinder. Use washers as end caps.
The only real issue would be if you miss with the punch part of it and pop your receiver.....
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Seems like it might be a good idea for the GFs cav arms.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:49:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Has it been pointed out yet that 5.56mm rounds are both the intended "tool", and are non-marring?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:53:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I just use keys/screwdrivers/bullets/anything handy to take down my rifle.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Has it been pointed out yet that 5.56mm rounds are both the intended "tool", and are non-marring?

I've used em. But if I just stick to using a round from the rifle I don't get a chance to visit the local metal yard and look through all kinds of cool pieces of metal, fire up the mig welder and enjoy making something that possibly will work with my own hands.. If it doesn't oh well, still enjoyed the hell out of trying.....
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:55:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the pushers I got form adco.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:06:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'd rather waste a toilet screw than to waste a round of .223 ammo.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:09:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd rather waste a toilet screw than to waste a round of .223 ammo.

Actually unless you gotta pound it to death it doesn't hurt the round at all. I've used them to adjust front sight and push the pins out and then they got thrown back into the ammo can and got shot eventually.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:09:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I like the pushers I got form adco.

I have one, heartily recommend it to any AR owner.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I use plastic coated golf tees on stubborn pins.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:20:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I used the 5.56 rd. in the past  but wanted something with a bit more rim on it. I just use it around the house but I did made another for my shooting box.  I just can't see paying $3.51 + shipping for something I can make for nothing and does the same job and does it better for my application. I guess its the AK builder coming out in me. One thing about ARs, there's someone to sell you anything you need for them. I had to make most of my AK building tools.hinking.gif
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:22:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I just use a small pair of pliers and a small flathead screw driver, never has a problem.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:38:36 PM EDT
[#14]
The end of a plastic bic pen works great. Just push it until you cant (at this point the take down pins will be half way out) it will stop because the pen's diameter increases then pull it out with your fingers. If the pins are really tricky lightly tap the top of the pen (with the cap on) with a hammer.
It works great and best of all you can get them for free and find them any ware.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:31:39 PM EDT
[#15]
glad you used a new toilet screw.  wish id thought of the golf tee.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:15:51 AM EDT
[#16]
i use my fingers, works every time.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:41:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

+1

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:56:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Chopsticks cut down to size works for me.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:57:24 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Unless your upper and lower are very very tight. (like one of mine is).
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:46:27 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Chopsticks cut down to size works for me.

+1
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top