Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/21/2008 8:34:08 PM EDT
I'm mounting a 50mm objective scope on a high power rifle.  I wasn't sure how tall I needed the rings to be and so I was reluctant to spend $80 or more on "tactical" rings.  I bought a set of Leupold high rings at China Mart for all of $16 and mounted it all up.  I think maybe medium rings might work better so I'll drop another $16 and try those.

My question is this:  Just what will I get from $100 rings that I can't get from my $16 rings?  Is there really any objective reason to spend the extra money?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:05:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Hopefully, you're getting better metallurgical material that has been machined (not cast) to the specified tolerance of the design, and the tolerance was checked.

Also, you should be getting a set of rings that have been honed so the tops fit the bottoms, and very importantly, both rings ought to have the same center.

What I mean by that is that both rings should not have an out of round condition even if they have the same out of round condition. Most scopes fail because of improper mounting. Poorly made rings and bases contribute to that.

As for

Is there really any objective reason to spend the extra money?
I can't answer that one for you. I will say this though, the most basic ring I recommend is Burris. They have a bunch more meat on them in case lapping is required.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:19:22 PM EDT
[#2]
height=8
Quoted:

My question is this:  Just what will I get from $100 rings that I can't get from my $16 rings?  

A rifle that holds zero ?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:08:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My question is this:  Just what will I get from $100 rings that I can't get from my $16 rings?  

A rifle that holds zero ?

true dat
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top