Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/24/2004 5:00:41 PM EST
Wanting an inexpensive CAR stock I got a complete set for around $45 from model 1. It's certainly not one of the ultra cool ones but it seems to work and I am happpy with it. My only complaint is the retaining nut comes loose after a bit of handling. I figure I can fix that with locktight on Sept the 14th. I've seen a few threads that bash the cheap stocks, as I said I'm happy with mine looks and function wise. Is there something I need to no re durability?

Eventually I plan to get all CavArms OD furnishings.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:11:03 PM EST
Have you tightened it with a spanner wrench?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:17:24 PM EST
lock tite will work and also for $20 more bucks than what you payed you could have gotten the newer one and probably better quality from RRA or a dealer,pete in new hampshire had em for $69
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:20:03 PM EST
Well this was new, I didn't know all the differences when I bought it. Yes I used the spanner wrench. So is it in dnager of breaking or anything? I have been watching the buffer tube for cracks. none so far.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:19:09 AM EST
I have found that the cheaper CAR stocks have cast buffer tubes. The RRA's from Pete (I bought one) appear to be milled.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:22:32 AM EST
i seen a cheapo that was very rough on the inside of the tube, check yours and lemme know what the inside finish is like

i have used a punch and hammer to impact tighten mine, always works for me when i get the occasional one that likes to loosen up on me
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:08:42 AM EST
I'll check to see if mine is milled tonight, and what the inside finish feels like. (inside of the buffer tube or inside of the stock?)
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:08:47 PM EST
The inside of both the plastic stock and buffer tube are smooth. I think that it is milled, but I'm not sure on how to tell. Let me know what this means.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:23:47 PM EST
milled, or sxtruded would be smoothly finished and worth having
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:01:48 PM EST
ok don't laugh......I bought one from Sportsmans Guide, for like $30.00, how could I go wrong? WELL......aside from having to grind down the top edge of the retaining plate so the charging handle would clear when pulled; I really haven't had any trouble with it.......for what its worth'
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:30:56 PM EST
Thanks guys, I didn't want to have to add a new one to the top pf my list.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:41:19 AM EST
i bought a cheap one for $30 shipped and it wouldnt stay locked under recoil, so i opened it up and made it a 2 position insted with a metal block. now its solid as a rock........
Top Top