Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/22/2005 9:18:14 AM EDT
Is one brand of charging handle better than the other?

If so...., Why??

I couldn't find any info with the "Search"
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:19:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:19:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I've grown fond of the billeted handles, but thats just me.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:25:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:41:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Is the PRI gas buster really efficient? Is there another manufacturer for this kind of charging handles?
I d like to buy one because shooting with my can is really uncomfortable.

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 10:29:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I should also add that I have surely seen cheep charging handles, so, yes, there are some to be avoided. I have seen a cheep one that cracked and another that was cleary made of inexpensive metal. So, as long as you stick wth a quality manufacturer, you should be fine.

Looks like I'm going with either a DPMS or Rock River handle in the standard configuration!

Is one of these any better than the other
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 10:33:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 10:36:34 AM EDT
[#7]
The LMT handle I bought is MUCH more substantial than the handle that was in my old RRA.

--Josh
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 10:38:51 AM EDT
[#8]
There are steel charging handles also, if you are worried about the durability of aluminum ones.

Link to steel charging handle
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:09:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I prefer the PRI Gas Buster as the handle is larger than standard. It is also hella stout.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:12:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Would it wear the receiver any? You know - hardness differences?? Should I prefer to keep everything aluminum that normally is? Or is the steel softer (I dunno theeees stuff)

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:32:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Would it wear the receiver any? You know - hardness differences?? Should I prefer to keep everything aluminum that normally is? Or is the steel softer (I dunno theeees stuff)

Great question FloridaC3!!!  

I for one would rather see ware on the handle than on the receiver..., if that is indeed the case!!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:35:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Stick with the standard FORGED charging handle - never causes any problems.  
HFG
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:40:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
HFG

Are the Rock River and DPMS handles forged or cast?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:46:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
HFG

Are the Rock River and DPMS handles forged or cast?

I understand that they are forged.
HFG
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:52:58 PM EDT
[#15]
all of the top AR brand charging handles i iwould not mind using

just avoid any chicom or cheap looking ones
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:11:06 PM EDT
[#16]
My RRA charging handle would twist when charging. Not alot of meat in it. I have since used Colt CH's bought from CDNN or members on the EE. I would venture to say that LMT and/or CMT and BM make better quality CH's than RRA or DPMS.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:33:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I also felt my RRA charging handle was just a tad flimsy and cheap. It was pretty thin aluminum I believe.

I bought a steel c.h. on the EE and attached a PRI Military latch. Love it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:51:51 PM EDT
[#18]
My only (minor) gripe with my DPMS charging handle is that it has that rough, stippled texture. Like DPMS uppers and lowers it appears to be teflon coated though, so mine has held up very well so far.

As far as the PRI goes, prior to owning one I used to think that the PRI charging handle was horrendously overpriced. Since trying one I have become a believer. Any of my upcoming builds will get PRI handles, except for "budget" builds. They are extremely solid and machined very well-you could probably pound nails with them if you had to At the moment my PRI equipped carbine is riding around in the trunk of a police cruiser, but as soon as I get it back I'll post a pic if this thread is still around.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:28:34 PM EDT
[#19]
In my experience, the DPMS (aluminum) handles have machining marks that you can feel when charging. I don't recommend them.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top